Question Is this Laptop Can used Maximum speed of Samsung NVMe 990 Pro ?

danygood

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2016
1. Unlikely the M.2 port is a PCIe 4.0. Almost certainly 3.0.
2. With a single drive, you would not be able to tell the difference between a 3.0 and 4.0.

Unless he needs more space than the original 512GB, leave it as is.
Thank you for answer
Sorry , my friend bought this laptop , but he don't know much about hardware , he mostly know about photo editing , so he guide from me but i dont now much

But he told me 512Gb is not enough and he want to upgrade his laptop NVMe

He want to buy 1tb or2 tb NVMe

Because this laptop have upgradeable NVMe , so he want buy fastest NVMe
After searching on some place , on many place wrote for now Samsung NVMe 990 Pro is fastest for now

But they wrote your laptop must be support this NVMe 990 Pro , if not then laptop cant used maximum speed of this ,

so i want to sure is this laptop can used maximum speed of NVMe 990 Pro ?

if not then will buy another model and brand

Thank you

USAFRet

Titan
A Samsung 970 Pro is probably what you need, and less expensive than a 990.
Whatever size meets budget.

Just because the 990 Pro is Gen 4 and therefore "faster" in benchmark numbers, does not mean it IS faster in actual use.

I have several SSDs, incl a 980 Pro and Intel 660p.
In the same sort of use as your friend, you cannot tell the difference.

The VAST majority of the work in photo and video editing is in the CPU and RAM. Not the raw drive speed.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The Dell documentation indicates you can use PCIe 4.0 or 3.0 M.2 SSDs in this laptop, however power consumption is something you have to keep in mind with laptops due to heat output. A top performing PCIe 4.0 drive may very well throttle or be otherwise limited in throughput in a laptop chassis.

Personally I'd be looking at PCIe 3.0 drives because of the SK Hynix P31 existing. It has very low power consumption, but can keep up with the best PCIe 3.0 drives in performance.