Is this legal?

Apr 7, 2019
I took my PC in to a repair shop for a diagnostic problem. When it was returned to me I noticed two programs had been installed for "Bitcoin mining" and "computta com" . Is this legal operation for PC repair people to do? Because I'm kind of freaking out about it.

Reactions: davidstreet
Apr 25, 2019
I took my PC in to a repair shop for a diagnostic problem. When it was returned to me I noticed two programs had been installed for "Bitcoin mining" and "computta com" . Is this legal operation for PC repair people to do? Because I'm kind of freaking out about it.
obviously not,but can you proof if it was installed by them ?
if u can ,sue them

Reactions: coastie65

Zephyl

Commendable
Mar 13, 2017
I'm no legal expert, but at the very least, that's terrible practice for a PC repair shop. I would first uninstall them and go ask why they were installed in the first place. Did they ask you beforehand whether you wanted them or not? Also, if you brought the system in because of a virus problem, the virus might have installed those things. (There are viruses out there that run in the background, mining bitcoin for someone.)
but can you proof if it was installed by them ?
Yeah, that would probably be difficult.

Do these programs actually start running or are they just installed?
I could imagine that someone would install them just to simulate the hardest compute load possible to see if there are temp issues.
But if they start mining in the background without your knowledge then of course it's not ok.

I think you were expecting white glove service like a Lexus dealership covering your whole interior and return your car in its pre-work condition. :D

Seriously, depends what you had them do, sometimes, they are careless and leave "tools" behind.

Run your virus/malware scan and for the next week or so, note anything unusual, like high CPU, Internet loads when you are simply idling.

Pradz Kindmeadows

Reputable
Mar 21, 2016
How long did your pc stay at the repair shop. Because I think somebody in the repair shop use your pc for mining bitcoin after it got fix.
Now bitcoin mining tend to put more strain on your pc. Try checking you pc performance just to sure, then run a malware scan and virus.

Jul 3, 2019
Look at when they were installed and take a picture of that. Then if you have a receipt of their services and the dates in which they had your computer take a picture of that also. I would bring both into the store and complain and demand a refund or they are going to have other issues. However, I wouldn't sue you won't get anything out of it and will only waste time and money. But threatening to sue can always give yourself some leverage.