[SOLVED] Is this legitimately Cat 6 cable?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
So, many years ago, when I didn't know the details of Cat6 particularly well, I ordered this cable spool:
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16812422266

Ok, I ordered the green version, the model number of what I got is the same, except that it ends with GR rather than OR, but NewEgg's link for it no longer exists)

The frequency suggests Cat6, but that it's stranded, and 24AWG, suggests it might not be.

What exactly do I really have? Is this actually suitable for Gb speeds?

Solution
It will likely be fine for gigabit speeds all you really need is cat5e.

There really is no advantage to cat6 cable unless you get it cheaper than cat5e. You would really want to go cat6a if you wanted 10g.

Stranded cable is mostly used for patch cables. I am not sure if there is a different distance limitation when you use stranded rather than solid. Since it is used for patch cables you seldom see it at the 100 meter limit.

It is not really rated to run in walls but I suspect it will work. The largest issue with stranded cable is you need special rj45 ends. I do not know if they make keystone wall jacks that accept it since you are not suppose to use stranded cable in the walls.

If you get the proper rj45 connectors it...
It will likely be fine for gigabit speeds all you really need is cat5e.

There really is no advantage to cat6 cable unless you get it cheaper than cat5e. You would really want to go cat6a if you wanted 10g.

Stranded cable is mostly used for patch cables. I am not sure if there is a different distance limitation when you use stranded rather than solid. Since it is used for patch cables you seldom see it at the 100 meter limit.

It is not really rated to run in walls but I suspect it will work. The largest issue with stranded cable is you need special rj45 ends. I do not know if they make keystone wall jacks that accept it since you are not suppose to use stranded cable in the walls.

If you get the proper rj45 connectors it will work fine at gigabit speeds.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
So, many years ago, when I didn't know the details of Cat6 particularly well, I ordered this cable spool:
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16812422266

Ok, I ordered the green version, the model number of what I got is the same, except that it ends with GR rather than OR, but NewEgg's link for it no longer exists)

The frequency suggests Cat6, but that it's stranded, and 24AWG, suggests it might not be.

What exactly do I really have? Is this actually suitable for Gb speeds?
Unknown. It is copper rather than copper clad aluminum (CCA). Stranded is OK. It is intended for patch cables where flexibility is more important.
The important thing is getting termination that is compatible with stranded rather than solid conductors.

TRENDING THREADS