Is this likely to be CPU/GPU or PSU?

zmethod

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018
The other night I was playing CSGO and started lagging quite a bit out of nowehere, 250ms ping normally 20ms etc, assumed someone was streaming something on the network and it would clear up.

About 10 minutes later I started getting glitchy displays - the screen would half freeze on the current pixels whilst some sections would be updating, kind of like when you get a dodgy digital signal from the TV, then all of a sudden the screen froze and the PC locked up. Had to do a hard shutdown, turned it off at the mains afterwards and left it overnight.

Tried it the following day and booted back in, all seemed good until I loaded up CSGO and after 30 seconds into the game the screen froze and the PC rebooted itself.

Ever since I have had green artifacts (like thick green bands) on the screen, the black taskbar and black elements on windows 10 have green squares over them in odd places, and the PC will reboot itself when ever something half intensive starts.

I tried a windows 10 reset but that didnt work, it kept rebooting itself halfway through. I ended up formatting the HDD and installing a fresh copy of windows 10 from USB (it needed doing anyway really) but that has not helped. I still get the green blotches on the screen and half way through trying to install the drivers for the graphics card it just restarts itself again. So as a result in device manager it doesn't recognise the GFX card, just displays it as generic microsoft display adapter.

Also potentially related / unrelated I am now getting a message on bootup saying that the CPU is not supported, however it has been running fine for almost a year now exactly the same setup and normally says "6 cores unlocked!" when I used to turn it on in the boot screen... this changed after reinstalling windows.

Specs are:
Mobo: Asus m5a78l -mlx
CPU: AMD FX 6350
GPU: AMD R9 270X
PSU: Corsair CX500M

Anyone have any ideas? I know the setup is quite old now but budget does not allow upgrade at the moment...

jr9

Estimable
GPU is either failing or the drivers are malfunctioning badly. You can try using DDU in safe mode to uninstall the drivers and then reinstall new ones. If the artifacting continues with other drivers then it's probably the card. I see more failed Radeon 200 series cards then all other graphics cards from nVIDIA combined.

CPU BIOS message sounds like a random BIOS bug. Ignore it. If your CPU wasn't supported then the system would not POST and loading Windows would be impossible.

if the mb has onboard video pull the gpu see if any of the errors stop. if not see if a friend has a spare gpu for testing. if the gpu is under warranty i would rma it first if you cant get a spare gpu for testing. power supply issue most time show up when the pc under load...the pc will reboot or shut down if there a power issue. garbage on screen most time is chip failure on the gpu.

zmethod

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018
If the GPU is faulty, would this cause the reboots? Im going to swap out the card tonight and also test with onboard graphics to see what the result is.

I have done a fresh format so hopefully there should be no malware causing issues.

popatim

Titan
MERGED QUESTION
Question from zmethod : "R9 270X Faulty? Or could it be PSU / CPU & Mobo?"