Is this a realistic base for a build?

Dell U2713HM

xfx r9 270 core edition

Lian Li PC-Q33a mini ITX

mini itx b85 mobo - as yet undetermined

intel i3 4330

cpu cooling tbd

500W ATX power supply

There are a couple of things playing on my mind. The first is that the case can take graphics cards up to 220mm and the card is exactly 220mm long on paper, and the second is being a few gens behind the curve how much heat is going to be produced in a really quite small space.

Any view appreciated.

* edited to add links

Solution
I'd be fairly wary of the XFX R9 270, as despite it fitting into the requirements (they usually leave a little space anyway) I think the power connector is on the end of the card (rather than on the top, which is more common nowadays).
I can't be 100% sure of this as even XFX don't have good views of all six sides, but the image showing the top section doesn't appear to have a connector, meaning it's likely to be on the back.
This is a problem as it extends the effective length of the card by at least another 10mm or so (probably more once you allow for space for the cable to turn).
While I can't be 100% sure, it'd definitely be a concern for me, and I'd definitely look at cards with top mounted connector(s).

There will be cards that...

Strobey MacNaughty

Reputable
May 31, 2014
Thanks for the posts.

"Lian Li PC-Q33A : gpu lenght 220 mm maximum
max height cpu cooler 180 mm
psu ATX "

This I know, but I've never had to deal with such tight margins on a card before, and I'm not sure how much confidence I should have that such a tight tolerance will actually result in my card fitting in the case.

"a bitfenix prodigy would solve all these problems. that case can handle any video card and the airflow with the addition of a front fan is incredible " A bigger case would help, but I very specifically want a low footprint case that doesn't loom to much, whilst sat on the corner of my desk, any bigger and its going to end up under the desk in a cheap chasis, at which point I'd might as well revert to mATX. The thing is I know this isn't a perfect thermal solution, but I'm not sure how bad of a solution it is...

Rammy

Honorable
I'd be fairly wary of the XFX R9 270, as despite it fitting into the requirements (they usually leave a little space anyway) I think the power connector is on the end of the card (rather than on the top, which is more common nowadays).
I can't be 100% sure of this as even XFX don't have good views of all six sides, but the image showing the top section doesn't appear to have a connector, meaning it's likely to be on the back.
This is a problem as it extends the effective length of the card by at least another 10mm or so (probably more once you allow for space for the cable to turn).
While I can't be 100% sure, it'd definitely be a concern for me, and I'd definitely look at cards with top mounted connector(s).

There will be cards that will fit. The GTX760 has a smallish PCB, so it enables a load of versions of it which are very short. The Zotac AMP! version, for example, has two fans and is very short, there is also the MSI GTX760 ITX, and Asus GTX760 Mini versions which are specifically for this type of scenario (though when the standard Asus DirectCU II version should fit too, you have to question the point of the "mini" versions a little). These are significantly more expensive than a basic R9 270, but it's perhaps worth consideration if you can't find a suitable card or don't want to step down to say a GTX750Ti.

As for heat/cooling, I doubt you'll have an issue. Nothing being discussed is going to generate vast amounts of heat, plus both sides are pretty well vented. Upgrading the rear fan is always an option if temperatures were a concern, as is upgrading the Intel stock cooler to something cheap but slightly larger like a Hyper 101/Hyper TX3 which will help to push heat from your CPU out of the rear of the case.

One final point is that the Lian Li isn't cheap (they never are). It looks nice, and is likely very well made, but if you are struggling for funds, then it's possibly a place to save. It's hard to beat something like a Coolermaster Elite 130 for value for money, and it'll fit any graphics card on the market, as well as a big PSU and an optical drive.

Solution

Strobey MacNaughty

Reputable
May 31, 2014
Hey, thanks for taking the time.

Thats exactly the sort of thing that concerns me. Strangely I can't find a quick start sheet or a manual for the card, although an unboxing of a different and longer model of XFX R9 270 does clearly show the plug on the back of the card not the top which doesn't bode well...

GTX760 was initially excluded on cost basis, truth be told I hadn't originally planned on going as far as the R9 270, and I'm always wary of spending an extra £150 by breaking it down in to 15 small £10 jumps... At the time I was planning on getting a 2560x1440 monitor, now I'm thinking I might stick at 1920x1200, or possibly dual 1920x1440, so I guess a step down to a GTX750ti and single screen would be a possibility but the savings on the card don't seem meaningful, especially if a 270 that does fit can be found. It's almost a pity I can't go back a little further and find a single slot card that would allow me to use a really small case like the pc-q03.

That's good news. I haven't built a system for yonks, so I wasn't entirely sure what the situation was these days. I had automatically included a reasonable 3rd party cooler, and was somewhat surprised to see so many people running stock fans. Guess I will hold fire on that purchase and see how it works out.

This isn't quite the matter of case fetishism you might normally associate with Lian Li. The case's extraordinary shallowness will allow me to put a system where other boxes would render a sizeable strip of my desk useless. There's only 7cm between the cases but it changes what I can do with the space in front of it quite dramatically, and I'll happily pay the extra £25 for the extra desk real estate, and take the shiny silveryness as a happy and free dividend. The Lian Li already takes a full atx power supply, and I actively want not to have an optical drive so for me it's the one decision on this project I am sure I will not regret, unless they release a case the size of the pc-q03 with a double pcie slot the day after I place my order of course.

Thanks again, you've given me a few things to think about, worryingly one of them being my budget.