Is this mobo & cpu combo a good deal? Also 16x vs. 8x crossfire questions.

fergieboy10

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
i5 4670K & MSI MPower @ $389

I'm assuming that the MPower board from the combo above is this one.

Is there any reason I should go for this higher end board? I'm mainly interested in overclocking, but some of the features seem neat. As long as I can crossfire and overclock stably though; I'm fine sacrificing some of the features for a cheaper board.

This board only supports PCI-e 3.0 8x bandwidth per card during crossfire. Would that be enough for next gen games @ 1080p @ 30FPS? I tried to find an answer on a few other threads but mostly I saw people throwing out the same "1-3% decrease in framerate" which considering the nature of Bandwidth doesn't make sense to me (very likely I could be wrong about this though).

Also if you have some board recommendations post them. So I'll have something to look for during sales. Thanks for your time.

Solution
Due to the PCI-E lanes available in Haswell, you're basically tied to 8x8 when SLI or XFire, which isn't really going to hinder you that much that you'd notice, it's sort of like SATA , the HDs available (many of them SATA III designated, can't even fill SATA 1 or II bandwidth, , the X79 has the lanes to run full 16x16, but prices rise with that, can go a quad core and mobo in X79 for a little more than the i7 4770K

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
I myself, and most builders I know won't touch MSI mobos for client builds, I'd look to Asus for a Z87, they seem to have the best handle on the Z87 s, I decided on the Asus Maximus Hero after numerous builds, might also look at the Z87-Pro (V edition), Gryphon and the the Z87-Plus, all are great mobos.

fergieboy10

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

Yeah I heard somewhere that MSI's were either hit or miss and more often a miss than they should be, and coupled with the fact that sellers always try to throw them into combo deals makes me a bit skeptical of them, so I'll look at the Asus boards now. Still though do you know anything about x8 vs. x16? I did a bit more research, and I've heard that there isn't a card yet available that has a fast enough VRAM speed to fully utilize the speed of the 8x PCIe. Is this true?

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Due to the PCI-E lanes available in Haswell, you're basically tied to 8x8 when SLI or XFire, which isn't really going to hinder you that much that you'd notice, it's sort of like SATA , the HDs available (many of them SATA III designated, can't even fill SATA 1 or II bandwidth, , the X79 has the lanes to run full 16x16, but prices rise with that, can go a quad core and mobo in X79 for a little more than the i7 4770K

Solution

fergieboy10

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

Thanks for the in-depth reply although I'm not quite technically competent to understand it; Its nice getting a thorough answer.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Just a little something I made up off the top of my head ---- ;) just kidding! You can can check into specs on the various CPUs and mobos, and then explore further from there, if you have any particular questions post them up and/or feel free to PM me, be glad to help ;)