Is this mobo good for i5 8600K?

Tomatoes

Honorable
Feb 1, 2016
Greetings guys im configuring my pc right now and im looking for a mobo. My budget is extremely tight and hopefully for me a market near my place offers this motherboard for 100 bucks: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z370-A-PRO.html

My only question is,will it handle i5 8600k?Im especially concerned because I heard this is the most budget z370 out there. Im not extreme overclocker,but I might do some mild OC in the future.Furthermore , will I be able to hit 3200mhz with XMP with this motherboard? (8gb 2x4 corsair vengeance 2666mhz)

Friendly reminder: Im a practical man,I dont mind good design and rgb,I just want those 2 things to work.Thanks in advance and for your time!

callmefin

Commendable
Apr 27, 2018
If you're tight on budget, I'd suggest you to go for Asrock Z370 Extreme4. It has a lot of good reviews and offers quite premium features for its price point. It will handle your 8600k overclock extremely fine. As far as I know, most of the Z370 motherboards can apply XMP up to 3200mhz. Just make sure you get a decent cpu cooler, have a look at HSFs like Cooler Master Hyper 212 series, or a decent Deepcool Gammaxx 400 if you're really tight on budget.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asrock-z370-extreme4-intel-coffee-lake-atx-motherboard,5424.html

If you have sticks that are marked at 2666 MHz then it's what you will get with XMP. If you want to run it at higher speed, you will have to set it up manually - and in such case quality of motherboard has much less impact then sticks themselves. So if you get good sticks you may be able to OC them on poor motherboard, but if you get poor sticks then even best motherboard will not help.

Any Z370 based motherboard will OC to a decent level.
Unless you need some specific feature such as wifi or sli capability pick the cheapest of your favorite maker.

You might post the rest of your prospective specs for a compatibility check.

Tomatoes

Honorable
Feb 1, 2016

Okay! So these are my rest specs:
CPU: i5 8600k
GPU: rx 480 4gb
Ram: Corsair vengeance lpx 8gb ddr4 2666mhz (2x4)
PSU: Corsair cs550w 80+ gold
Case: nzxt source 340 elite
Storage: 1tb hdd lenovo+ 250gb samsung 970 evo ssd

Tomatoes

Honorable
Feb 1, 2016

I thought corsair made quality ram sticks,am I getting mistaken?

It's a matter of binning sticks - those that are found better are sold as 3200 or faster ones. So naturally sticks that are sold as 2666 MHz are of slightly worse quality, no matter what brand. It's the same as with overclocking CPU - you can get one that easily OC to 5 GHz or one that has problems hitting 4.6 GHz. Matter of luck.

If you own the rest of the parts, you are OK, go ahead and use them.
If you are buying new, I might pick some different ones.

Tomatoes

Honorable
Feb 1, 2016

I already have them :/ Should I be concerned?

Tomatoes

Honorable
Feb 1, 2016

im not planning to even touch the voltage :p ,I will be running on stock settings or maybe OC to 4.0 ghz(mild things not something extreme)

my experience with 2400/2666 chip is generally, you can run them @ 3000 mhz with ok-ish timing without issue.
however, they are more for ryzen based build. as the cpu architecture scales somewhat with memory speed.
i think you can for sure run faster than what it is rated for without xmp, xmp is a preload profile for the motherboard to use. not an manual overclocking feature for ram.

You are good.
We all have favorite parts. and vendors.

How well your cooler works is largely determined by the amount of intake air your case can provide.
Your case is a nice one; with two 120/140mm front intakes, you have all the fresh air you will need.
Your hyper212 will do just fine for anything save a maximum overclock.

Your ram will be just fine at any speed.
Intel does not depend on fast ram for real app performance.