Question Is this Monitor a gimmick?

markfresh

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
Hi i am currently running 2 x 27" Aoc G2778V monitors and was looking to go to a larger 31.5/32" , i an interested in a curved monitor , but have been reading about how curved monitors without certain specs are just a gimmick,
i found this one on sale for fairly cheap, https://www.pccasegear.com/products...V2QorCh2T9gwfEAQYFSABEgJsovD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds and i would like to stay with Aoc , but concerned the curved at this price is a so called gimmick and not worth it.
Could anyone enlighten me please and if its not worth getting what is a good curved or flat in a 32" ( On a budget )
Thanks Mark

Hi i am currently running 2 x 27" Aoc G2778V monitors and was looking to go to a larger 31.5/32" , i an interested in a curved monitor , but have been reading about how curved monitors without certain specs are just a gimmick,
i found this one on sale for fairly cheap, https://www.pccasegear.com/products...V2QorCh2T9gwfEAQYFSABEgJsovD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds and i would like to stay with Aoc , but concerned the curved at this price is a so called gimmick and not worth it.
Could anyone enlighten me please and if its not worth getting what is a good curved or flat in a 32" ( On a budget )
Thanks Mark

A 32" 1080P monitor?

Pass on this, it will look like crap, no it's not worth it at all unless you use it as a TV, but then you can get a 32" TV for about the same price etc.

There aren't any Budget 32" Curved Monotors that are worth buying.

Best to save up and get a good one if that's what you want.

This one would be much better and it's not exactly expensive.

PCPartPicker Part List
Monitor: Samsung - LC32JG50QQNZA 32.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($359.99 @ B&H)
Total: $359.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-02 11:12 EDT-0400

Great thanks for the advice, just to check are the most important aspects of a 32" curved to have at least 2560 x 1440 and 144Hz? Is this the starting point?
Thanks Mark

A 1440p monitor at 32" will have a DPI around that of a 24" 1080p monitor so that is about as big as you want to go with a 1440p. Any screens larger than that will need to be either a 4k or an ultrawide 1440p.

I forgot to mention i have an Nvidia card so i imagine i will have to get a compatible monitor so make use of the Hz? Are samsung monitors designed around AMD?

Depends on the monitor.

There are some Freesync Monitors that work with the NVIDIA GPU's.

You can use any Monitor with an NVIDIA CPU however, just depends on if you want a GSYNC monitor or not, they are a lot more expensive....

A lot more, especially the 32" ones and you would need a high end GPU to run it as they are normally ultra wide and 3440 x 1440 resolution, that's almost 4K. High end GPU mean a GTX 1080Ti or higher.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
A curve in a monitor is, I believe, more or less pointless on a 16:9 aspect ratio monitor. I wouldn't pay extra for it.

On an ultrawide, however, at least of 34" or bigger ultrawide, I think a curve is well worth it.

I disagree with most people on the pixel size issue. I was very comfortable with a 27" that was 1920x1080 (NOT ultrawide, obviously), and my son's 34" 2560x1080 (ultrawide, with slight curve) is very crisp, and comfortable to view.

Each person's eyes and preferences are different, though.

A curve in a monitor is, I believe, more or less pointless on a 16:9 aspect ratio monitor. I wouldn't pay extra for it.

On an ultrawide, however, at least of 34" or bigger ultrawide, I think a curve is well worth it.

I disagree with most people on the pixel size issue. I was very comfortable with a 27" that was 1920x1080 (NOT ultrawide, obviously), and my son's 34" 2560x1080 (ultrawide, with slight curve) is very crisp, and comfortable to view.

Each person's eyes and preferences are different, though.

At 27" for 1080p is about the biggest you can go for most people in terms of crispness and average viewing distance. A 34" ultrawide will have the same DPI as a 27" since they have the same vertical height just added pixels on the side.

Reactions: TJ Hooker