Is this motherboard compatible with a i5 7400?

Solution

It's cheap because it's using a more basic chipset, so only supports lower memory speeds, no overclocking and so on.

That said, according to Biostars website it support the 7400:
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=825#cpusupport

Note in the cpu support list there is an asterisk next to all the 7xxx processors- I'm guessing that means you'll need a bios update to fully support the cpu (shouldn't be a problem just worth...

It's cheap because it's using a more basic chipset, so only supports lower memory speeds, no overclocking and so on.

That said, according to Biostars website it support the 7400:
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=825#cpusupport

Note in the cpu support list there is an asterisk next to all the 7xxx processors- I'm guessing that means you'll need a bios update to fully support the cpu (shouldn't be a problem just worth noting).

The board specifies solid caps and has a full PCIe x 16 slot for a graphics card so looks fine to me if you aren't interested in overclocking (also note it only has 2 memory slots for ram so not ideal for future expansion of memory).

Edit: Looking at that asterisk- it says lower down you need to update the bios *before* using a kaby lake (7000 series) cpu. If you are building from scratch it might be easier to stick with Skylake unless you desperately need a Kaby Lake cpu (the only difference is related to the video decoder, otherwise the cpu's are essentially the same) so look at a a 6xxx i5 instead if you go with that board.

Solution
Looks like a normal B150. CPU compatibility list shows all Kaby Lake supported.
Updating BIOS can only be done by putting already supported CPU into it. So unless you have a SkyLake CPU lying nearby, you can't do that yourself. But if you have one, it's quite simple.

MYawar

Prominent
Feb 22, 2017

Can i really not update bios with only kabylake cpu? I just thought it would be best to have the newest cpu.

MYawar

Prominent
Feb 22, 2017

Thanks for your help! Do you know anything about updating Bios?

Nope.
There are boards that can be upgraded simply by putting USB stick to it and pressing the button. VERY expensive boards they are. This one not among them, unfortunately.
Yes, having newest CPU is good idea.
Updating BIOS is very dependent on mobo manufacturer - Asus boards do it slightly different then Gigabyte boards, for example. Unfortunately, I have no experience with BIOSTAR. Anyway, there should be guide either in mobo manual or on manufacturer website.

TRENDING THREADS