[SOLVED] Is this normal at all??...

churro16

Commendable
Jan 12, 2019
Hello I'm back again

So I've recently upgraded everything apart from my graphics card, so here is my parts list.

Ryzen 9 5900x |G.Skills Trident Neo 32gb DDR4 3600mhz (2x16 Kit)| EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0| Samsung 9 Evo Plus 500gb and a 2TB one| Asus x570 F-Gaming Mobo. Plus a 1440p 27" monitor trying to run at 144hz +

So from boot idle the RAM usage is about 16% (with Discord, Voicemeeter potato plus google open etc... )
Desktop_Screenshot_2021.11.27_-_10.02.21.42.png

And during Rust Gameplay it peaks at around 48% and sometimes rises to 57% usage. Am I fair to say that this isn't normal for a healthy Ram usage for such a good memory kit?... (Plus Gpu is now 100% usage aswell in game)
Desktop_Screenshot_2021.11.26_-_23.16.24.74.png

Solution
Oh wow actually didn't know that. I was a bit worried when I compared my mates (Same 32gb but 3200mhz instead of 3600)very low memory usage to my.

I appreciate the answer, but is there anyway to mitigate the high usage rate by any chance?...
The more memory you have, the more the OS will allocate to applications even if they may not use it. The reason being it's easy to free memory (the quick way is to mark it as such), but it's expensive to allocate more memory. So if the application needs more memory for some reason, the OS doesn't have to go through the trouble of figuring out if there's enough memory, if there's a contiguous chunk, if it needs to page something out, etc. It just goes "here you go", and that's that. Even if...

churro16

Commendable
Jan 12, 2019
Seems normal to me. Windows will use more RAM when its available.

Oh wow actually didn't know that. I was a bit worried when I compared my mates (Same 32gb but 3200mhz instead of 3600)very low memory usage to my.

I appreciate the answer, but is there anyway to mitigate the high usage rate by any chance?...

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
I also recently upgraded my memory from 16 to 32GB. I don't remember exactly how much RAM does it use on startup and idle mode (I'm not home at this moment), but obviously I noticed more RAM usage after my upgrade, but it's normal. The more RAM you install, more will use Windows.

GPU going to 100% is a absolutely normal.

I have a similar setup to yours. GTX 1070 with 32GB RAM and 1440p monitor. How are you satisfied with that GPU on 1440p?
I'm not happy with mine. GTX 1070 is definitely struggling on that resolution. Wish I could upgrade my GPU before these crazy prices situation happened.

Reactions: churro16

The more memory you have, the more the OS will allocate to applications even if they may not use it. The reason being it's easy to free memory (the quick way is to mark it as such), but it's expensive to allocate more memory. So if the application needs more memory for some reason, the OS doesn't have to go through the trouble of figuring out if there's enough memory, if there's a contiguous chunk, if it needs to page something out, etc. It just goes "here you go", and that's that. Even if the application frees up that memory, the OS may not actually recoup it. For example, if you have an application that constantly accesses a file, the file may get transferred into memory and then stay there so the application doesn't have to wait for storage (the caveat is if you have an unexpected shutdown/restart, changes to that file may be lost to the wind).

As @CountMike said, if you're not using memory, you're wasting it.

Reactions: churro16
Solution

churro16

Commendable
Jan 12, 2019
I also recently upgraded my memory from 16 to 32GB. I don't remember exactly how much RAM does it use on startup and idle mode (I'm not home at this moment), but obviously I noticed more RAM usage after my upgrade, but it's normal. The more RAM you install, more will use Windows.

GPU going to 100% is a absolutely normal.

I have a similar setup to yours. GTX 1070 with 32GB RAM and 1440p monitor. How are you satisfied with that GPU on 1440p?
I'm not happy with mine. GTX 1070 is definitely struggling on that resolution. Wish I could upgrade my GPU before these crazy prices situation happened.

Yeah it is an absolute struggle to run anything at 1440p with a 1070, but I'm just going to bite the bullet mane and buy a 3080 Next week or this week.

Reactions: Dean0919