Is this normal cooling for Ryzen?

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
CPU is 2600. If I go into the BIOS the cpu sits 27/28. Once I go into windows I can't ever get it below 30 no matter what. I can set all fans to max and best I can do is 30. I can be in the BIOS with fans set to 40% and it's still below 30c. Everything else seems pretty good. During stress test I can't even get it to get into the 60s. Highest temp I have reached was 56. This Noctua cooler is amazing, the stock wraith stealth was hitting 70c during a bit less stress.

Just now I am sitting at 32, restart into bios to turn off the boost clock (just testing some stuff out), 28c shows up. Windows loads up and afterburner shows 35 as the lowest temp and 42 as the max. I watch the temps and patterns a lot and Ryzen seems like it runs much differently than when I had the i5 4460. It's not uncommon to see 10c gains in a split second which I don't recall seeing before. It doesn't seem like anything is really wrong because of how cool it stays under full load. It will go from 30 to 50 crazy fast, maybe a couple seconds, but then sits at 50 for 3 minutes then slowly climbs to 53 over the next 3 during a full stress test.

I wonder if they AMD has some kind of safety buffer with the temps once you aren't in the bios. Like it reads a few c higher to give a little more room from having an issue if it were to auto shut down. So far everything is great and it's running like a beast, but the only downside is due to how the temps jump so fast it makes it harder to create a good fan curve. Fans kick on faster because of jump up 12c suddenly and I can now hear them, but then they slow back down 3 seconds later.

Endre555

Reputable
Jul 4, 2016
Temperatures are perfectly normal, but yes, that 30 to 50 C in just secoonds is a little bit strange. Maybe something is reading the temps incorrectly? Do you have the latest BIOS for your MOBO? For me the first thing to do would be to update the BIOS if it's not the latest.

Tends to be the norm the norm with ryzen 2*** cpu's.

If your cooler & load temps are that good why not set a straight 40% fan speed upto 50c & then a sweeping curve from 40-70c to say 65-70% fan speed.

Ryzen has no issue with thermal dissipation through the cpu surface so if you have a big surface cooler & a big fan you'll have no need for higher speeds.

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014

That might be the best option to get rid of the noticeable sound of the fan going up then back down. Even when all 8 fans are at 100% it's actually a pretty quiet system, even sitting only a few feet away. This case does an amazing job of keeping things down, plus all the fans are high quality. Going to give that a shot, but have it the fans climb to 100% between 53 and 60 unless there is a downside other than noise / fan life. I don't mind replacing a fan a few months early if it means my cpu is never really coming close to hitting 70c. Unless I'm just way off, but I am under the impression even though that's not that high, the lower the better, can't hurt anything other than fan wearing soon and / or noise.

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014

Yeah, i'm on the most current bios and everything is running great. I honestly don't know if I can get this thing to even clear 60 unless I just left it on stress test and went to the store or something. I was thinking maybe ryzen just runs different, it will spike like that for a sudden burst of power and then even out over time. I guess as long as it's running cool under load that's all that really matters.