Question Is this normal for 8700k clock speed when idle.

Mar 3, 2019
Firstly, I want to say that, I am newbie for this pc stuff, so my question is, when my pc is idle, the clock speed is around 4.8ghz to 5ghz
y43yQnb.jpg

Mar 3, 2019
No, that's an oc. What board and cooler are used ? The oc is not a problem but the relatively high temps are because they will rise at load and get too high. Figure out the oc and get a better cooler.

Its overclocked? ohhhh my, because when the pc first start up, all the bios settings, was done by my brother.
I'm using Asus ROG Strix Z370-F Gaming mother board and Corsair H150i Pro

There's a switch in bios that ASUS calls MCE that by default runs the cores at max turbo. Ask bro to find it. That may be the source of the high speed. Not a problem per se until the cpu explodes (JK). Turn it off or get a better cooler, heat is not your friend, unless like me, you live in canada.

YOu could either disable MCE (which would tehn only allow 1 or 2 cores at max turbo) and/, or, at least leave multiplier selection to Auto in BIOS, and WIndows power plan to Balanced... No reason for SPeedStep to be disabled, I'd allow it to jump up and down from 800 MHz at idle to the factory 4.7 GHz turbo....; you can worry about MCE (all cores at 4.7 GHz) and setting multipliers manually (it appears someone set it to 50X?) later....

Certainly there is no reason to have all cores running at 5 GHz to play Solitaire, etc.... :)