[SOLVED] Is this normal for a RTX 2070 (Rog Strix)

Nov 28, 2020
View: https://imgur.com/a/lXdzH34

I have an RTX 2070 with i7 9700k, everytime I open chrome and I get two tabs open, one twitch and one usually Instagram, twitch is playing streams in 1080p. I'm concerned about the GPU usage because it sometimes goes up to 25%. I don't know if it's normal or not ill be happy if someone let me know. I also don't know why I have so much GPU usage from Nvidia Container and Desktop manager. All my drivers are up to date for my GPU and my motherboard. I also saw chrome go up to 50 percent for like 5 seconds and go back down. Temps are fine on both CPU, motherboard , and gpu

Last edited:
Solution
Task manager is not to be trusted when it comes to GPU utilization. It's not the same to use 4% of full boost clocks with let's say 30% of low power state clocks.

Streaming and watching a video, does use the GPU for encoding/decoding and is fairly normal for Chrome to hog resources. If you close the stream you will see a huge drop in GPU usage.

Unless you're having FPS issues with your games, or thermal issues with the GPU, just forget about it.
I'm concerned about the GPU usage

at this moment with Firefox having 6 tabs open, one of which is a 1440p video playing, it is only using from 1-4% of my GPU.
DWM(Desktop Window Manager) remains a 'Windows process' and never comes forward to the 'Apps' section of Task Manager and stays at 0% GPU usage.
also the Nvidia Container & Nvidia Display Container LS both stay at 0% GPU usage.

your Chrome process with supposedly only 2 tabs open shows 13 separate attributes.
my Firefox process with 6 tabs open only shows 9 separate attributes.
i would guess Google is doing more than just browsing.
remove it and try a different browser and see if you get different results.

also if you have GeForce Experience installed i would remove it.
it's got some useless automated graphics control options in place that can lead to odd issues and system resource usage.

Nov 28, 2020
at this moment with Firefox having 6 tabs open, one of which is a 1440p video playing, it is only using from 1-4% of my GPU.
DWM(Desktop Window Manager) remains a 'Windows process' and never comes forward to the 'Apps' section of Task Manager and stays at 0% GPU usage.
also the Nvidia Container & Nvidia Display Container LS both stay at 0% GPU usage.

your Chrome process with supposedly only 2 tabs open shows 13 separate attributes.
my Firefox process with 6 tabs open only shows 9 separate attributes.
i would guess Google is doing more than just browsing.
remove it and try a different browser and see if you get different results.

also if you have GeForce Experience installed i would remove it.
it's got some useless automated graphics control options in place that can lead to odd issues and system resource usage.
what abt the windows desktop manager

what about the windows desktop manager
what do you mean?
what should you do about it?

as far as i've discovered it only has something to do with Enhanced Display Options that are available for some applications through their Properties tabs. i always make sure the pertaining boxes are unchecked.
but if using multiple displays with extend or duplicate options enabled it may also be involved.

i've seen a lot of reports of crashes and errors pertaining to it.
whether it is a Windows feature prone to corruption or something else i've never seen any in-depth reports.

i would make a full system backup and try a fresh OS install.
if nothing improves, revert back to the previous state and keep searching for answers...

Task manager is not to be trusted when it comes to GPU utilization. It's not the same to use 4% of full boost clocks with let's say 30% of low power state clocks.

Streaming and watching a video, does use the GPU for encoding/decoding and is fairly normal for Chrome to hog resources. If you close the stream you will see a huge drop in GPU usage.

Unless you're having FPS issues with your games, or thermal issues with the GPU, just forget about it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS