[SOLVED] Is this normal for ryzen cpu spikes?

Blavikn

Prominent
Oct 30, 2021
I have a Ryzen 7 3700x and idle temps are 28-48ish. Games can be the 53-74 range, however I've noticed sometimes that I'll be playing a game and the temp will spike from 58 to 70 then drop again, I know this is PBO but is that jump normal?

Also my fans ramp up and down a lot which is annoying but can't be helped. My curve is 50% at 65c and 100% at 75c.

Solution
I have a Ryzen 7 3700x and idle temps are 28-48ish. Games can be the 53-74 range, however I've noticed sometimes that I'll be playing a game and the temp will spike from 58 to 70 then drop again, I know this is PBO but is that jump normal?

Also my fans ramp up and down a lot which is annoying but can't be helped. My curve is 50% at 65c and 100% at 75c.
Yes, that's normal for any modern CPU. As load to some or all cores increases so does voltage and that heats them more. With Ryzen that happens pretty fast so it's easier to notice.
PBO is just second stage of boost after Turbo mode pushing it a bit more when needed.

Yes, that's normal for any modern CPU. As load to some or all cores increases so does voltage and that heats them more. With Ryzen that happens pretty fast so it's easier to notice.
PBO is just second stage of boost after Turbo mode pushing it a bit more when needed.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have a Ryzen 7 3700x and idle temps are 28-48ish.
i wish i could get as low as 28c but then I look at max at idle and think, that must be including the constant spikes that come with ryzen, every few seconds a core wakes up, does something and goes back to sleep again. So its always up to about 50 and back down again, gets tiring to watch and doesn't really tell you what rest of CPU is doing.

I generally use HWINFO to track temps and use one measurement that ignores the spike meaning avg temp is closer to what rest of the cores are doing and even out the spike.
3600xt always around 41c at idle, I can only go lower in winter by changing fan plan, and only if its around 0c outside.

Cpu is doing what OS and programs ask of it. that's where you have to look for those jumps in frequency and temps with it.

.... I'm averaging 1.4v but apparently that's dangerous for Ryzen...
Don't know where you got that idea but it's not true. It's normal and 'by design' for it to raise voltage as high as 1.5V so 1.4V is certainly going to be safe in the right operating conditions. It does it when boosting to higher clock speeds in light, bursty loads. When the processing load is sustained it will instead lower voltage; if working hard enough it be lower than 1.3V on my system.

ADDED for clarification: You probably got the notion that 1.4V is dangerous because there were a number of reports of early CPU degradation in the overclocking community from overvolting 1.4V or higher thinking 'since the boost algorithm does it it must be safe all the time'. They found otherwise.

Last edited: