Question Is this normal, new build core i5 9400f?

JD007

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Hello Guys,

Recently put together a system, specs core i5 9400f, Asus mobo Z390-P, 16GB Kingston and old AMD GPU as a fileserver, WD SN750 M.2 SSD, 750W Corsair PS. When I turn the power on, CPU fan runs, and case fans runs for a second or half-a-second, then stops and then CPU fans runs again POST and windows load, and stays on.

I am wondering if this behavior is normal for the first second run (no post), then cpu fan runs again, post and windows load. Is there some sort of fault check etc? Case is also new Rosewill Challenger.

Thanks for the feedback.

JD007

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
I will try to reset bios to optimal default. I checked ram with memtest...all 4 passes no errors. It is running at 2666hz..which is the max ram speed is. Thanks

JD007

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
So I reset the bios and reseat the ram, same thing. I also noted one which I did not attention much before is, I have to press power button twice to turn on the PC. On first power on nothing happens so I have to press the power second time, then it turns on. I checked the power switch cable, inserted properly in the mobo. I have case standoffs, do you think something is shorting. Thanks

Check your bios for enabling something like fast start.
That is where windows on a normal shut down writes the contents of ram to a fast start file.
On a subsequent boot, it will read that file and start up very quickly.
If, for example, you shut down by pressing and holding the power button, you are crashing windows and it will boot up much more slowly by reloading all the individual components.

As a suggestion, use sleep to ram(no hibernate) instead of shutting down.
That puts the pc into a very low power state.
sleep/wake is a very fast process.