[SOLVED] Is this normal PSU behavior?

Oct 14, 2020
My motherboard has recently died.
Before connecting a new motherboard, I wanted to check that the PSU is ok and did not cause the problem.
I started the PSU shorting the green to GND and checked the voltages.
I found a strange behavior, like a ringing in the 3.3v line.
https://imghub.io/i/thO2
I checked another PSU and this does not happen.
Is this normal behavior? Could this have killed my motherboard?
Regards

Solution
Hi, thanks for commenting.

The PSU with the 3,3V spike is Sentey SDP650-SS.
The new one with the stable 3,3V is Thermaltake TR-2 600W

Regards

After doing research with the PSU's you gave me both of them seem to be ok, but not decent.

Sentey Power Supplies, at first it looks well built though many say it's a very poor built PSU.

As for the Thermaltake TR series they're good, but only the updated ones which has a Black and white label. The old ones with a full black label with the thermaltake logo orange are the old ones which are bad. I've had one before when I bought a used desktop which had the same wattage 600. When...

okjak808

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
I'm not an expert. But usually when a motherboard dies it's most likely the PSU is the culprit. I don't know much about voltages but may I ask how much voltages where you getting on the other PSU?

Sorry I'm doing my best to help.

Upon research the 3.3v Rail or =5v is what adapter cards (sound cards not like GPU cards,) or disk drive logic boards use (which is like the controller for a HDD.)

Oct 14, 2020
I'm not an expert. But usually when a motherboard dies it's most likely the PSU is the culprit. I don't know much about voltages but may I ask how much voltages where you getting on the other PSU?

Sorry I'm doing my best to help.

Upon research the 3.3v Rail or =5v is what adapter cards (sound cards not like GPU cards,) or disk drive logic boards use (which is like the controller for a HDD.)

The voltage on the other PSU, that is brand new is a little bit higher, about 4v (remember im measuring it without load) but it does not have this ringing pulse, it is just a stable constant voltage.

I would like to use the old PSU, but Im afraid if it is bad, it may fry another new motherboard

Regards

okjak808

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018

The voltage on the other PSU, that is brand new is a little bit higher, about 4v (remember im measuring it without load) but it does not have this ringing pulse, it is just a stable constant voltage.

I would like to use the old PSU, but Im afraid if it is bad, it may fry another new motherboard

Regards

Well since the other PSU has a constant voltage, and it's not spiking maybe it was your PSU that killed your old motherboard. But may I know the brand of both of the PSU's you have?

Most times with generic PSU they will use low quality components that will likely fail much quicker over time. Some PSU's have better protections that will also prevent other components from short circuiting (depending on the brand, or model of PSU).

Again when a motherboard dies it's most likely a power issue. I had a motherboard that died on me (or shorted) before because I did a CPU upgrade on it, and it was a Insignia PSU from best buy. I replaced my motherboard (Same brand, model), and my PSU with better quality and it worked fine.

Oct 14, 2020
Well since the other PSU has a constant voltage, and it's not spiking maybe it was your PSU that killed your old motherboard. But may I know the brand of both of the PSU's you have?

Most times with generic PSU they will use low quality components that will likely fail much quicker over time. Some PSU's have better protections that will also prevent other components from short circuiting (depending on the brand, or model of PSU).

Again when a motherboard dies it's most likely a power issue. I had a motherboard that died on me (or shorted) before because I did a CPU upgrade on it, and it was a Insignia PSU from best buy. I replaced my motherboard (Same brand, model), and my PSU with better quality and it worked fine.

Regards

okjak808

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018

Regards

After doing research with the PSU's you gave me both of them seem to be ok, but not decent.

Sentey Power Supplies, at first it looks well built though many say it's a very poor built PSU.

As for the Thermaltake TR series they're good, but only the updated ones which has a Black and white label. The old ones with a full black label with the thermaltake logo orange are the old ones which are bad. I've had one before when I bought a used desktop which had the same wattage 600. When upgrading my GPU to a 770 even though it is enough it was too risky due to the built quality many explained online.

Then again if you bought the Thermaltake TR series with the black and white logo you should be fine.

I forgot to ask though what are your specs on you desktop?

Solution