[SOLVED] Is this normal speeds for 970 evo plus 1tb vs 860 evo 1tb with rapid boost enabled on the 860?

Feb 23, 2020
Hello. I have just recently replaced the stock nvme ssd for my Asus ROG Strix gl703ge scar edition. I have also replaced the sshd for the 860 evo. I will post screenshots of the benchmaark results i have got because i figured even though the rapid boost is really just using your ram to speed things up, I thought that the 970 would still be alot quicker. I mean dont get me wrong the speeds I am getting on the 860 are incredible to me but was just wondering with those results should i just do my windows install on the 860? Also my bios is not set to AHCI but set to Intel optane. Not really sure if that is the issue but I figured I would put that in.

For the CrystalDiskMark my C drive is my evo 970 plus and my D drive is the 860.
dD1Mhxc.jpg
RljeHTd.jpg
lQAKIQn.jpg
Qrx87NC.jpg

Solution
RAPID mode is just a gimmick. It uses your system memory (RAM) to cache the drive, but your OS already intelligently uses RAM to cache. RAPID would add overhead if anything, and is probably even more prone to data loss. As for the 970 EVO, be sure to install the Samsung NVMe drivers.
RAPID mode is just a gimmick. It uses your system memory (RAM) to cache the drive, but your OS already intelligently uses RAM to cache. RAPID would add overhead if anything, and is probably even more prone to data loss. As for the 970 EVO, be sure to install the Samsung NVMe drivers.

Last edited:
Solution