Is this normal?

nicola.morozov

Prominent
Jul 30, 2018
So I have recently upgraded my system with a GTX 1080 ti. And I have decided to water cool it. Upon taking off the stock cooler (my card is an EVGA 1080 ti black edition) I noticed something weird with the Vram modules. It seems like one of them is missing. Please look at the photo attached and tell me if this is normal.
RSWA6Ys.jpg

Solution
it doesn't matter how much ram the card has all cards will use the same PCB so it is normal your GPU is missing a chip. if there was a chip there it would be something like the 16GB version of it

nicola.morozov

Prominent
Jul 30, 2018

No I'm asking this because I've been having issues after upgrading (I didn't only upgrade my GPU I also upgraded my CPU and MOBO). In some games, particularly LOL, my game randomly freezes and then my CPU usage spikes to 100% and my second monitor shortly freezes after the game freezes. Plus when I was installing the water block there was a diagram in the manual and it said to put a thermal pad on a VRAM chip that's in the exact position as this "missing chip".

that's not a vrm the vrm mosfets the on the right side of the inductors lablled "R22" you may also want to cool the capacitors that's on the left of the inductors.

also check your power supply, poor power supply can also cause issue.

uppercut4u

Reputable
Mar 22, 2018
The thermal paste on the GPU is incorrect. While this may not cause the exact failure it needs to be fixed. There should only be a thin layer of thermal paste on the GPU, enough for contact. You do not want to cake it on as it appears in the photo. All you need is the amount slighter larger than a grain of rice, gently spread it with the end of business card extending to all corners of the GPU. You can remove the old thermal paste with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip.

that's more for cpu with a ihs, actually many of the waterblock manual instruct the user to put a liberal amount of thermal grease.(As long as it's not conductive) you want 100%coverage of the gpu die, not like cpu where the ihs can smooth out hot spot.

refer to these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAid5G30-WM&t=419s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUWVVTY63hc&t=972s (watch the end gpu part)