Question Is this normal?

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
I took the back panel off of my case and was moving some cables around and noticed this. https://ibb.co/t8MY7fd

Around some of the soldering it's a darker color, probably not likely but it looks burned? That should be the "MOS" which I'm assuming is short for mosfet. MOS temp right now is 39° at idle.

Also, on the "back plate" I think it's called, it's got some sort of residue on it. It wiped off easily, you can see my finger print in the pic. What caused that? Should I turn the computer off and clean it with alcohol?

My motherboard is just barely in warranty so if something is damaged or overheating I could probably get msi to do something about it.

One more thing, I believe my i5 7640x says it uses 112w but in game it says it uses 50-60 watts. Is that normal?

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
If it wipes off then it's probably dust.
Maybe you have to blow out your PC with compressed air every now and again.
If you want to rub it yeah then power off and switch off power and avpid touching anything while holding the PC frame - to stop static electricity discharges.

It has a 112W TDP - that's what CPU cooler designers use to deign their coolers.
TDP = Thermal Design Power - how much heat will come off the CPU at high usage.
But it is consuming 50-60W of electricity - which is fine.

I took the back panel off of my case and was moving some cables around and noticed this. https://ibb.co/t8MY7fd

Around some of the soldering it's a darker color, probably not likely but it looks burned? That should be the "MOS" which I'm assuming is short for mosfet. MOS temp right now is 39° at idle.

Also, on the "back plate" I think it's called, it's got some sort of residue on it. It wiped off easily, you can see my finger print in the pic. What caused that? Should I turn the computer off and clean it with alcohol?

My motherboard is just barely in warranty so if something is damaged or overheating I could probably get msi to do something about it.

One more thing, I believe my i5 7640x says it uses 112w but in game it says it uses 50-60 watts. Is that normal?
I think it might be the heat of the VRM components on the other side of the board that's discoloring the PWB material. It's fairly common and I wouldn't worry about it unless it was brownish, suggesting high enough heat to be charring the PWB.

I agree with it being simply some fine dust on the backplate.

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
Somebody made a reddit post about the same discoloration on there board and people said it was thermal paste seeping through the board which they say is normal and wont harm anything.

ASK THE COMMUNITY