[SOLVED] Is this not a regular molex to 4pin?

Dec 27, 2020
So I got this thingy:
gkYOLJ1.jpg

1orfaNm.jpg

IvgnaEw.jpg

And it doesn't seem to be a regular molex to 4pin adapter, no?
I'm not sure what it was for, I think it came with my case for either the molex fan (thanks Zalman, how modern) or the front RGB.
Since I have a fully modular PSU, I really don't want to plug in an extra molex cable just for the front RGB (I replaced the fan with something much better). What do I do?

Solution
It's called options. Cases, gpus, a bunch of things including storage all come with optional equipment. Doesn't mean you have to use it just because it's there.

From the looks/design of that, it looks to be a molex to 4pin for the purpose of powering a case mounted fan hub or lighting hub, usually connected to a case switch.

If you changed the fans out, and no longer use the hub, then there's no need to power it. The paperwork on your case should tell you exactly what that's for, if in fact that's where it came from.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's called options. Cases, gpus, a bunch of things including storage all come with optional equipment. Doesn't mean you have to use it just because it's there.

From the looks/design of that, it looks to be a molex to 4pin for the purpose of powering a case mounted fan hub or lighting hub, usually connected to a case switch.

If you changed the fans out, and no longer use the hub, then there's no need to power it. The paperwork on your case should tell you exactly what that's for, if in fact that's where it came from.

Solution

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
It certainly is NOT for use with a fan, becasue it has all 4 lines from the Molex connected through. It MIGHT be a way to connect power to an old 3½" floppy drive from a Molex output if you don't have such a connector on another cable set from the PSU.