Is this ok to use

Jul 20, 2018
I am build a new gaming pc to stream on! the specs of this pc will be an xeon X5660( in future will be cooled by cooler master 120 ), gtx 970 4gb and 16gb ram. my question is will a Corsair Vs450 PSU be able to power this Streaming pc! thanks in advance!

Solution
Corsair VS series PSUs are low quality units and the worst offered by Corsair. Corsair CS, CX and CXm series are better than VS series but build quality wise, they still are worse than anything offered by Seasonic. While Corsair AX, AXi, HX, HXi, RMx, RMi, TXm and SF series are on-par with Seasonic PSUs.

PSU is the most important component inside the PC since it powers everything and if you care about your system, you do not want to cheap out on PSU. Sadly, most people learn the hard way not to go with cheap PSU since when low quality PSU blows, it can fry any component it's connected to. Even entire houses have been burned down because of the fire low quality PSU caused when it blowed up. Also, while the PSU warranty covers the PSU...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Corsair VS series PSUs are low quality units and the worst offered by Corsair. Corsair CS, CX and CXm series are better than VS series but build quality wise, they still are worse than anything offered by Seasonic. While Corsair AX, AXi, HX, HXi, RMx, RMi, TXm and SF series are on-par with Seasonic PSUs.

PSU is the most important component inside the PC since it powers everything and if you care about your system, you do not want to cheap out on PSU. Sadly, most people learn the hard way not to go with cheap PSU since when low quality PSU blows, it can fry any component it's connected to. Even entire houses have been burned down because of the fire low quality PSU caused when it blowed up. Also, while the PSU warranty covers the PSU itself and you can RMA the blown PSU, the PSU warranty doesn't cover any other component the PSU fried.

For your PC, any 500W range Seasonic PSU would be more than enough, both wattage wise and build quality wise, e.g: M12II-520 EVO, G-550, Focus 550 or Focus+ 550,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/TgW9TW,DPCwrH,bkp323,KmgzK8/

Focus and Focus+ are the newest PSU lines from Seasonic and they come with 10 years of OEM warranty. G and M12II EVO series PSUs come with 5 years of OEM warranty.
All my 3 PCs: Skylake, Haswell and AMD are also powered by Seasonic. Full specs with pics in my sig.

Solution

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
While Corsair AX, AXi, HX, HXi, RMx, RMi, TXm and SF series are on-par with Seasonic PSUs.
Every brand will vary quality depending on the models. For example, the S12ii/M12ii are similar to the old (green) Corsair CX: mediocre and overpriced. Seasonic G is similar to the Corsair TXM: Between mid to high range, loud, usually better off spending a little more for a top quality unit.
Seasonic Focus Plus similar to the RMX in terms of quality.
And Seasonic Prime Titanium are on the same league as the AXi.

By sticking to a single brand, you risk choosing a mediocre PSU, overpriced power supply, and missing out on many other options.

OP, I’d start saving for a new, higher quality power supply. The power supply will affect every components lifespan as well as its own. The Corsair VS does have adequate protections though, so it shouldn’t kill other components if it dies.

Budget options include the new Corsair CX and CXM (white label), be Quiet Pure Power 10 400w+, be Quiet System power 9 400w+, Antec Neo Eco II, Xilence Performance A+, depending where you’re located.

High end PSUs include the Corsair RMX, Seasonic Focus Plus, EVGA G2/G3, Bitfenix Whisper.
450W will be enough for your system considering mild overclocking on CPU +GPU.