[SOLVED] Is this okay or not for overclocking? (Computer restarting)

• Thread starter Deleted member 2808222
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2808222

Whenever I stress test my system right after it’s booted it passes it without any problems, 8 hours with realbench. But when I’ve had my computer on for a day using it (not playing games or doing high cpu tasks) I then stress test and notice how my computer had restarted over night when I waked up as it was back on the login screen in windows.

I’m wondering if this is okay or not? Normally I would keep my computer on for max 16-18 hours per day before shutting down. With my computer, I usually use it for music production.

Solution
I’m not an expert when it comes to overclocking but for me if a computer doesn’t pass a stress test with realbench then I’d see that as some kind of problem. My computer did pass the 8 hour test after being booted but when the computer had been powered on for about 12-20 hours and I then do the same 8 hour test it gave me the windows login screen the next day which seems like something’s wrong for me. I would normally keep my computer on for about 16-18 hours each day so I thought that an 8 hour test might be to little. To make sure my computer really runs well I thought why not stress test it after it’s been powered on for a while, that way I’ll know if it handles a long day of work.

Temperatures do not seem to go over 76c...

Ziferous

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
I assume you have your windows display settings to never turn off. Make sure everything is up to date on your system if you do have the setting turned on. This could be drivers, software updates, firmware updates, and so on.

Whenever I stress test my system right after it’s booted it passes it without any problems, 8 hours with realbench. But when I’ve had my computer on for a day using it (not playing games or doing high cpu tasks) I then stress test and notice how my computer had restarted over night when I waked up as it was back on the login screen in windows.

I’m wondering if this is okay or not? Normally I would keep my computer on for max 16-18 hours per day before shutting down. With my computer, I usually use it for music production.
I'm curious, why are you stress testing it for so lon

I'm curious, why are you torturing it if everything is running right ? What would that tel you except for how long it would take before it dies ?
After running it for so long under high loads, temperature is bound to raise enough to cause shutdown/restart, Did you check if there was a BSOD that caused it ?

D

Deleted member 2808222

I assume you have your windows display settings to never turn off. Make sure everything is up to date on your system if you do have the setting turned on. This could be drivers, software updates, firmware updates, and so on.
I’ve got everything updated except bios and Windows 10. Windows 10 gives me an error when trying to update and I haven’t found a fix. Bios is something I haven’t updated and have never done before. I’m thinking i’d stay safe with not updating it incase errors/issues appeared if I did.

D

Deleted member 2808222

I'm curious, why are you stress testing it for so lon

I'm curious, why are you torturing it if everything is running right ? What would that tel you except for how long it would take before it dies ?
After running it for so long under high loads, temperature is bound to raise enough to cause shutdown/restart, Did you check if there was a BSOD that caused it ?
I’m not an expert when it comes to overclocking but for me if a computer doesn’t pass a stress test with realbench then I’d see that as some kind of problem. My computer did pass the 8 hour test after being booted but when the computer had been powered on for about 12-20 hours and I then do the same 8 hour test it gave me the windows login screen the next day which seems like something’s wrong for me. I would normally keep my computer on for about 16-18 hours each day so I thought that an 8 hour test might be to little. To make sure my computer really runs well I thought why not stress test it after it’s been powered on for a while, that way I’ll know if it handles a long day of work.

Temperatures do not seem to go over 76c according to realbench after the stress test that passed. I believe I’ve got pretty decent cooling, what I have is 4 x 200mm fans and 2 x 140mm together with a nh-d15 and a large case located in a large room. My cpu voltage is working around 1.22-1.230v. There are some other voltages for the cpu that I don’t know the name of, they are set slightly higher than what I think I need at the moment and when I feel like I’m stable I’ll reduce them so I have a vision of my computer temperatures not going over 60-70c when I’m done overclocking.

Temperatures do not seem to go over 76c according to realbench after the stress test that passed. I believe I’ve got pretty decent cooling, what I have is 4 x 200mm fans and 2 x 140mm together with a nh-d15 and a large case located in a large room. My cpu voltage is working around 1.22-1.230v. There are some other voltages for the cpu that I don’t know the name of, they are set slightly higher than what I think I need at the moment and when I feel like I’m stable I’ll reduce them so I have a vision of my computer temperatures not going over 60-70c when I’m done overclocking.
If there was a BSOD it can tell you why it crashed, if not it would suggest it restarted because of some unknown fault.

Solution