Is this optimal for gaming, streaming and some rendering?

Konvicted99

Honorable
Feb 10, 2016
- Ryzen 7 1700
- MSI B450 Gaming PRO Carbon
- G.Skill Trident Z RGB (2x8GB) 3200Mhz

Also, can I use G.Skill Sniper X (2x8GB) 3200Mhz instead? It wasn't mentioned in the RAM Configurator for the above mentioned MOBO.

And I want to upgrade my monitor to 1440p in future maybe in a year, so will this be sufficient? I'll also upgrade my GPU at the same time so any suggestions?

Solution
Ram latency used to be quite important. Combined, it's basically how fast the ram can make data available to the memory controller. The tighter the timings, the faster the data could be moved when the cpu needed it. But that was when ram was relatively slow, where you were looking at speeds of 800-1066MHz etc. Nowadays with DDR4 capable speeds, MC as part of the cpu etc, timings are a lot less relevant. In games, even less so. Modern ram is usually left holding the data, waiting on the cpu, not the other way around. The calculations for ram are measured in nanoseconds, in the time it takes you to blink a couple of million bits have moved.

That said, there are more professional programs that can see a difference, but those are not fast...
Resident builders could make suggestions if you make your budget known. As it is I wonder why you're not going with the Ryzen 7 2700.

RAM compatibility should be better now, though I personally prefer to stick with the motherboard manufacturer's QVL to be on the safe side. It's also possible to see if which motherboards are used with that RAM on PCPartPicker (I think it's also possible with Userbenchmark).

Konvicted99

Honorable
Feb 10, 2016

LUL I meant 2700. Oops!

Also, G.Skill Sniper x is not that compatible with MSI B450 Gaming PRO Carbon according to PCPartPicker.

P.S. How much of a difference does RAM latency makes? For ex. 14 VS 16. Is 14 worth the money than 16?
Also my budget is not fixed but I dont wanna spend too much. Not too expensive, not too cheap. Somewhere between them or above average. Ex. For monitor I wont spend $1000 on Alienware and for GPU 1080 ti is too much for me.

For an all-rounder the Ryzen 7 2700 is a good choice especially when considering price to performance. I would double check some benchmarks for the sort of rendering you do to see if the software has a preference.

I shall have to pass over the RAM timings question because I haven't the foggiest clue....

Konvicted99

Honorable
Feb 10, 2016

Thanks mate.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The QVL is qualified Vendor list, not qualified Ram list. There's only a few actual OEMs that manufacture ram. They make ram for every Vendor. So what you'll find is that the Samsung B-die in the Tridents is the exact same Samsung B-die used in the RipJaws V, Patriot Elite and half a thousand other Vendors and models.

If there was 10 OEMs, making ram for 1000 vendors, each vendor having 1000 different models, speeds, sizes, colors, heatsinks, etc you'd end up with a QVL that was 1000 pages long, cost a fortune in testing manhours, overhead, different mobos, etc.

So, the mobo vendor pulls a few popular models in a variety of speeds and sizes, and throws in a few prototypes. Chances are good if the Sammy B is good in the Tridents, it's good in any other vendor too, so no point in repetitive tests.

Snipers are good ram, better binned, lower profile, lower voltage than more mainstream g-skills.

Konvicted99

Honorable
Feb 10, 2016

So, in short, I can go for Sniper. Right?

Also, do you have any idea about RAM latency?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ram latency used to be quite important. Combined, it's basically how fast the ram can make data available to the memory controller. The tighter the timings, the faster the data could be moved when the cpu needed it. But that was when ram was relatively slow, where you were looking at speeds of 800-1066MHz etc. Nowadays with DDR4 capable speeds, MC as part of the cpu etc, timings are a lot less relevant. In games, even less so. Modern ram is usually left holding the data, waiting on the cpu, not the other way around. The calculations for ram are measured in nanoseconds, in the time it takes you to blink a couple of million bits have moved.

That said, there are more professional programs that can see a difference, but those are not fast paced, you'd see a gain of several seconds an hour etc.

Yes, you could go for the Snipers, I've not seen any reports of issues from g-skill ram incompatibility other that when Ryzen was first released and ppl used SkHynix based g-skill RipJaws IV instead of the FlareX or Trident-Z or RipJaws V, which are Samsung B-die. That was soon fixed and hasn't impacted Ryzen 2nd Gen that I've heard of.

Last time I looked, pretty much anything rated 3200MHz or faster is Sammy B-die, but that's probably changed a little since Micron (Crucial) is its own OEM and other OEMs have made advancements.

Solution

Konvicted99

Honorable
Feb 10, 2016

Wow. Thanks for that amazing piece of information. I appreciate it.
One last thing. As I mentioned, I am planning to upgrade my monitor to 1440p Ultrawide in near future. Any suggestions regarding which monitor to buy or anything else in general that I should know?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ultrawides are awesome, if you really only have space for 1 monitor. Otherwise they can be an iffy choice. There's quite a few games like WoW that have full 21:9 support, but just as many that do not. Meaning you get a standard 16:9 screen with the rest being 2 large black bars on either side. Also consider that's a goodly amount of pixels added on, so where ppl claim to get 100fps, you'll be getting closer to 80-90. Simply due to the gpu limitations.

Lastly, be prepared to choke on the price tag. A 34" 3440x1440 21:9 with 100Hz+ will run anywhere from $500-$1000 depending on things like freesync and G-Sync. The ROG Swift and Acer Predator X34 are among the better monitors (IPS) and run @$950. For much less, you could easily run with a good standard 1440p primary and a 1080p secondary for things like wiki and maps etc