Question Is this pc any good?

NickMeister101

Prominent
Feb 22, 2019
Hey I’ve been looking into pc gaming and don’t know much about PCs. I found this one that looks cheap and the guy said it ran Very well. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2166698640050031/ this is the link to where you can see it.
The specs are.
I5-4440 3.1 Ghz

8GB gaming G-Skills Ram

ASUS GTX 960 2GB

1TB SEAGATE HDD 7200 RPM + 240 GD SSD ADATA PLUS (SP550)

WINDOWS 10 LICENSE (EDUCATION)

THERMALTAKE CASE AND ASROCK H81 MOTHERBOARD.

bignastyid

Titan
It's overpriced. PSU looks like a polished generic turd. SSD isn't mounted. Overall it looks like it was built by someone with little experience. Also Win 10 Education edition licenses are non transferable, they are only valid to the student whom it was granted to. All in all I would pass.

WildCard999

Titan
Maybe around $400-$500
Hmm, you aren't too far from the Microcenter in St. Davids (if you live in Lancaster) and that would get you the Ryzen 1600 ($80 instead of $118) which is much better then the i5-4440 and would give you a good upgrade path. This is a bit above budget but if you buy that CPU with a B450 motherboard & DDR4 @3000/3200mhz (2x4gb is fine) then they typically give you a bundle discount but they also price match with Newegg/Amazon/etc.
https://www.microcenter.com/product...-am4-boxed-processor-with-wraith-spire-cooler

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor ($79.99)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B450M-A/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($81.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Team - Vulcan 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($50.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - RE4 500 GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($21.50 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX 570 4 GB PULSE Video Card ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Case: DIYPC - MA01-G MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($26.97 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Sceptre - E225W-1920 22.0" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Cooler Master - Devastator 3 Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $546.39
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-22 10:33 EDT-0400

^^^This would give you significantly better performance then that FB build.

NickMeister101

Prominent
Feb 22, 2019
Hmm, you aren't too far from the Microcenter in St. Davids (if you live in Lancaster) and that would get you the Ryzen 1600 ($80 instead of $118) which is much better then the i5-4440 and would give you a good upgrade path. This is a bit above budget but if you buy that CPU with a B450 motherboard & DDR4 @3000/3200mhz (2x4gb is fine) then they typically give you a bundle discount but they also price match with Newegg/Amazon/etc.
https://www.microcenter.com/product...-am4-boxed-processor-with-wraith-spire-cooler

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor ($79.99)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B450M-A/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($81.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Team - Vulcan 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($50.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - RE4 500 GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($21.50 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX 570 4 GB PULSE Video Card ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Case: DIYPC - MA01-G MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($26.97 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Sceptre - E225W-1920 22.0" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Cooler Master - Devastator 3 Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $546.39
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-22 10:33 EDT-0400

^^^This would give you significantly better performance then that FB build.
I already have a keyboard and a monitor, would that still be a good price for gaming pc

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
As bignasty said, knowing that it's a "650W" power supply isn't enough. You wouldn't buy a car if they didn't tell you what the model was and only had a "16-gallon gas tank" and you were unable to find out during a test drive would you?

Knocking off $30 is a good start, but if this PC has a junk power supply, you're already out a minimum of $40 (a little less when the Corsair CX is on sale) to put in a decent budget model. Which is why it's important to find out. In the case that it is junk, you would need to a further reduction to reflect your costs, which means $75-$90 off the original price or so.

NickMeister101

Prominent
Feb 22, 2019
As bignasty said, knowing that it's a "650W" power supply isn't enough. You wouldn't buy a car if they didn't tell you what the model was and only had a "16-gallon gas tank" and you were unable to find out during a test drive would you?

Knocking off $30 is a good start, but if this PC has a junk power supply, you're already out a minimum of $40 (a little less when the Corsair CX is on sale) to put in a decent budget model. Which is why it's important to find out. In the case that it is junk, you would need to a further reduction to reflect your costs, which means $75-$90 off the original price or so.
The power supply is an HEC Zephyr 650W

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I don't know if it's any good, but I found it (out of stock) on NewEgg, and the label shows:

17-339-003-40.jpg

That a 650W PSU is only able to provide 504W on the 12V rails, ie: 77.5% of the total power rating, is extremely concerning and suggests to me that it's not a good PSU.

But, I'll leave it to those more knowledgeable on this, as in depth knowledge of PSUs is NOT my strong suit.

NickMeister101

Prominent
Feb 22, 2019
I don't know if it's any good, but I found it (out of stock) on NewEgg, and the label shows:

17-339-003-40.jpg

That a 650W PSU is only able to provide 504W on the 12V rails, ie: 77.5% of the total power rating, is extremely concerning and suggests to me that it's not a good PSU.

But, I'll leave it to those more knowledgeable on this, as in depth knowledge of PSUs is NOT my strong suit.
How much is a good power supply? Because I know I can replace it

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
How much is a good power supply? Because I know I can replace it

No crazy-good sales at the moment, but this is a solid budget PSU.

Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($52.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $52.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-24 18:49 EDT-0400

But if you're replacing it, then you need to get a discount for the power supply. The one in there is not good; hec essentially makes good power supplies when a brand forces them to. This is a cheapo group-regulated power supply (the hec, not the Corsair) and I don't think it's even been sold in the last decade. It's unlikely this was a new low-quality PSU even when the seller built his rig.

And just found a picture of the inside. 85-degree Su'scon capacitors! So yeah, stay away from the hec.

NickMeister101

Prominent
Feb 22, 2019
No crazy-good sales at the moment, but this is a solid budget PSU.

Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($52.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $52.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-24 18:49 EDT-0400

But if you're replacing it, then you need to get a discount for the power supply. The one in there is not good; hec essentially makes good power supplies when a brand forces them to. This is a cheapo group-regulated power supply (the hec, not the Corsair) and I don't think it's even been sold in the last decade. It's unlikely this was a new low-quality PSU even when the seller built his rig.

And just found a picture of the inside. 85-degree Su'scon capacitors! So yeah, stay away from the hec.
So should I even bother try buying that pc for a lower price or just save up and build a pc from scratch.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'd personally say that if you're not in any big hurry or have any immediate pressing need, save up a little more, and put together one of your own with modern hardware.

Don't forget to account for the price of a Windows 10 license, though. Unless you currently have a machine with a retail version of Windows, in which case you can transfer that license to the new PC.

There are a few good things coming down the pipe as well:
  • AMD's Ryzen 3000 series is coming out fairly soon. They will likely perform better than the previous gen Ryzen, as well as likely driving down the price of any of the older Ryzens
  • AMD's Navi-based graphics cards may be coming out by the summer. Likewise, should drive existing prices down, and shake up the market a bit.

On the latter note, knowing the specifications of your monitor make it easier to pick a graphics card. You mentioned having a keyboard - do you also have a mouse?

NickMeister101

Prominent
Feb 22, 2019
I'd personally say that if you're not in any big hurry or have any immediate pressing need, save up a little more, and put together one of your own with modern hardware.

Don't forget to account for the price of a Windows 10 license, though. Unless you currently have a machine with a retail version of Windows, in which case you can transfer that license to the new PC.

There are a few good things coming down the pipe as well:
  • AMD's Ryzen 3000 series is coming out fairly soon. They will likely perform better than the previous gen Ryzen, as well as likely driving down the price of any of the older Ryzens
  • AMD's Navi-based graphics cards may be coming out by the summer. Likewise, should drive existing prices down, and shake up the market a bit.
On the latter note, knowing the specifications of your monitor make it easier to pick a graphics card. You mentioned having a keyboard - do you also have a mouse?
Yes I do, my monitor is a Samsung curve which is 24” I believe 1080p