Is this PC better than the one I'm using now for video editing?

sensi277

Commendable
May 6, 2016
I recently picked up an old HP Prebuilt from a friend who was giving it away. Here's my question: if I were to put a new video card into it, would the CPU be a bottleneck for video editing in Premiere? And would it be better than my current computer for video editing if I did that?

HP Prebuilt rig:

• AMD Athlon II x4 630 @ 2.8GHz (quad core)
    AMD Radeon HD 5450 graphics (not OpenCL supported, would probably upgrade to something more powerful)
    4GB of RAM
    Because of the low-powered GPU, it currently uses software rendering in Premiere

My current rig for video editing:

• i5-4288u @ 2.6GHz (dual core w/ hyper threading)
    Intel Integrated graphics (Iris 5100)
    8GB of RAM
    Can't add a video card to this system, as it's a laptop

Solution
Yeah after paying $200 for the gpu you would have to spend at least $100 (USD not sure how that comes out) for psu and ram, and you would be stuck with a slow cpu. i would say if you need a better system, save up and buy it together.

sensi277

Commendable
May 6, 2016

I'd probably spend $150-200 CAD on a video card. According to Geekbench, the Athlon in the HP is a good 15% slower than the CPU in my laptop, so there's that.

I probably won't be upgrading the HP, as I'd probably need to replace the GPU, add more RAM and replace the crappy power supply.

Ethanh100

Honorable
Yeah after paying $200 for the gpu you would have to spend at least $100 (USD not sure how that comes out) for psu and ram, and you would be stuck with a slow cpu. i would say if you need a better system, save up and buy it together.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS