Is this PC build good?

jnewegger23

Distinguished

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GCmZGX

Agreed, but it keeps pushing him up on budget by a significant factor. I've taken all factors you've recommended into consideration, what further changes if any would you make then at this point (see above link). Assuming he's ok with the price bump(s).

jnewegger23

Distinguished
Which ram, this is cas 7; perhaps cas 9 for $68? Which mobo would you recommend? I understand the psu was overkill atm but if op wants to go crossfire or sli later it would be better spend a little more on a better psu now was the logic.

jnewegger23

Distinguished
Based on all of Tiny Voices input it seems he'd recommend something closer to this:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7jXzCJ

There are a few disadvantages with this recommended build. While it gets you the better gpu now, it comes with a weaker psu which cannot accomodate crossfire or sli later, it comes with higher cas timings at 9 vs 7 and a slightly weaker processor.

The advantages to my recommended builds are that you can upgrade the gpus significantly later either for sli or for a single stronger gpu with stronger overall components at the sacrifice of a better gpu currently but the 280 you wanted intially is included and is closer overall to your original build.

Both approaches are sound, it's up to you what you find fits best. I take nothing personal if you find tiny's recommendations to be a better fit! Have fun!

SLI/CF doesn't matter because the board doesn't support it anyway. Plus 90% of people who claim to want to upgrade never do.

Build the best PC for NOW, not for later. This is a common rule that everyone seems to overlook. The fact of the matter is the build I'm recommending will perform BETTER right out of the gate, by a significant amount.

jnewegger23

Distinguished

I completely agree. However, the builds I recommended do have a z board that do support sli/crossfire but you're right most people do not upgrade even though they claim to.