[SOLVED] Is this PC build ok?

Jun 3, 2020
  • CPU: Intel Core i3 9100F
    GPU: MSI GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
    Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B365M-A
    RAM: HyperX Fury 1x8GB @ 3200MHz
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB @ 7200 RPM
    PSU: EVGA 450w 80+ Gold (I already bought it)
    CASE: Deep Cool Matrexx 55 v3 ADD-RGB
PSA: I'm from Peru and there isn't much stock. I aim to play in 1400x900 at 60 FPS.
Is it okay? - I wanted to use an RX 580 instead of GTX 1050 Ti, but my PSU wouldn't be enough according to Outervision's Power Supply Calculator.

Solution
Were you looking at buying the graphics card new, or on the pre-owned market? I don't know much about pricing in Peru, but if buying new, in many regions a GTX 1650 SUPER typically costs a similar amount as a 1050 Ti, but performs substantially faster, and is usually even slightly faster than an RX 580. A 1650 SUPER only draws a little more power than a 1050 Ti, so it would likely work fine on that PSU.

A 1660 or 1660 SUPER would probably work fine as well, as they too draw less power than an RX 580 while being faster, and Nvidia recommends at least a 450 watt PSU for them. They might be outside the price range you were considering though.

I agree that you should ideally look for two sticks of RAM, so they can run in dual-channel...

Kevinoli2005k

Prominent
Apr 29, 2019
it's alright but the CPU is kinda of a bottleneck but should atleast handle most games at the aimed resolution although these specs can reach 60 FPS on 1920x1080 with some settings tinkering

a new monitor and if possible an ssd for booting windows and a big issue I found is that you are running single channel(aka one ram stick) which is a big disadvantage another 8GB ram stick should also help

over all these updgrades shouldn't throw you back that much in terms of money

Were you looking at buying the graphics card new, or on the pre-owned market? I don't know much about pricing in Peru, but if buying new, in many regions a GTX 1650 SUPER typically costs a similar amount as a 1050 Ti, but performs substantially faster, and is usually even slightly faster than an RX 580. A 1650 SUPER only draws a little more power than a 1050 Ti, so it would likely work fine on that PSU.

A 1660 or 1660 SUPER would probably work fine as well, as they too draw less power than an RX 580 while being faster, and Nvidia recommends at least a 450 watt PSU for them. They might be outside the price range you were considering though.

I agree that you should ideally look for two sticks of RAM, so they can run in dual-channel mode for optimal performance.

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
4 Core processor should be fine to really run all games decent/ memory I would go for a 2X4GB set although a single 8GB stick will not impact performance much if it's a lot lower price than the set.

A SSD would be nice but is absolutely not a must have for a budget PC. The extra storage would probably be better. People these days think a SSD is a must have for some reason but not to me on a budget system who really cares if it takes longer for the PC to boot.

Jun 3, 2020
Wow, you have to game in 1400 x 900 in Peru? I would invest in a better monitor. The system should work fine, but you should try to find a SSD boot drive.

No, you missunderstood. I just prefer 900p.

it's alright but the CPU is kinda of a bottleneck but should atleast handle most games at the aimed resolution although these specs can reach 60 FPS on 1920x1080 with some settings tinkering

a new monitor and if possible an ssd for booting windows and a big issue I found is that you are running single channel(aka one ram stick) which is a big disadvantage another 8GB ram stick should also help

over all these updgrades shouldn't throw you back that much in terms of money

I don't think the CPU is bottlenecking the GPU at all. Any proof?

I agree that you should ideally look for two sticks of RAM, so they can run in dual-channel mode for optimal performance.

Thanks for your recommendations! Yes, I was looking to buy new GPUs.
I'll try to find a GTX 1650, it seems to be a little more expensive than a GTX 1050 (here in Peru) and the performance difference is quite big.

4 Core processor should be fine to really run all games decent/ memory I would go for a 2X4GB set although a single 8GB stick will not impact performance much if it's a lot lower price than the set.

A SSD would be nice but is absolutely not a must have for a budget PC. The extra storage would probably be better. People these days think a SSD is a must have for some reason but not to me on a budget system who really cares if it takes longer for the PC to boot.

Meh, i'm fine with 1TB. Don't need more.

Bro you can run a 3950x with 2080ti on 450W 80+ White haha

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg6pz7YTxyA

I don't know... I don't see it worth enough for me to risk my whole build.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020
PSA:
  1. "Get a better monitor" - I'm not sure. I'm okay with 60Hz and 5ms. Any suggestions?
  2. "Get another RAM stick" - Will do!
  3. "Get a SSD" - Maybe, but not now. I don't mind those extra seconds.

Thanks for your recommendations! Yes, I was looking to buy new GPUs.
I'll try to find a GTX 1650, it seems to be a little more expensive than a GTX 1050 (here in Peru) and the performance difference is quite big.
Keep in mind that the 1650 and 1650 SUPER are two different cards at different performance levels (a bit like the 1050 and 1050 Ti). Both should be faster than a 1050 Ti, but while the regular 1650 is typically somewhere around 25-30% faster than a 1050 Ti in demanding games, the SUPER version can in turn be over 30% faster than the regular 1650.

And at least in the US, all of these cards currently tend to be relatively close in price if buying new, though there might be more of a difference in pricing over there. I guess its just something to think about if you happen to see a SUPER version priced just a little more than a non-SUPER version.

Jun 3, 2020
Keep in mind that the 1650 and 1650 SUPER are two different cards at different performance levels (a bit like the 1050 and 1050 Ti). Both should be faster than a 1050 Ti, but while the regular 1650 is typically somewhere around 25-30% faster than a 1050 Ti in demanding games, the SUPER version can in turn be over 30% faster than the regular 1650.

And at least in the US, all of these cards currently tend to be relatively close in price if buying new, though there might be more of a difference in pricing over there. I guess its just something to think about if you happen to see a SUPER version priced just a little more than a non-SUPER version.

Will do, thanks.
By the way: It's fine if I go with an ASUS PRIME H310M-E?