Is this pc good for gaming/editing/3D modelling?

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014
I am currently studying architecture, so I work with 3D modeling software such as SketchUp, Blender, Maya, Cinema 4D and Autodesk. But im also an enthusiast gamer that enjoys gaming in his free time, I enjoy playing games like Grand Theft Auto, Fortnite, Witcher 3, Destiny 2, Battlefield, Arma, and many games that require some graphics power, I usually game at 2k.
So I though on getting a pc with hardware that may last for atleast some years, these are the specs.
- Intel core i7 8700k
- Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5
-Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4
-Evga GeForce GTX1080 FTW

Is this pc good for my wants and needs? I have the budget for it, but is there any recommendation for me to change or additionally get? (Already have the case, PSU, Cooler, Hard drives). And yeah, i love RGB stuff.

The 2700X is also a great alternative. I would only advise the 8700k over the 2700X if a huge portion of your workload is on single-threaded tasks, otherwise, the gains single-thread wise from the 8700k would be put to shame over the massive multi-core potential the 2700X gets. That, of course, is only true if you don't get a defective 2700X like I did :) , but getting a bad chip is highly unlikely

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

What you are saying it's true, most work I do relies on a 8 core cpu, which the i7 lacks, but I currently work on a kind of old 4 core i7 which works decently good, so 6 core should do fine. The problem is that on my country, getting ryzen processors themselves is impossible. An i7 8700k costs me 350 dollars, while a ryzen can cost me up to 450 or more due to duties and taxes from international purchases.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Well theres your answer then. While it is better for what you want, I wouldn't drop an extra hundo on it.

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

Does the ryzen have better performance on gaming? Video editing and 3d Modelling it does for sure, but gaming?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

No the i7 will beat it in most games. I mean we aren't talking about a massive world changing difference here, but it is faster.

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

So if I get the i7, there won't be much difference, like a really big difference between both processors, speaking about both gaming and 3d modelling right? The i7 is faster on gaming but not that much, so the Ryzen could render faster, but not something i should worry, right?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

The i7 is faster on gaming, the Ryzen is faster on everything else, but you said it would cost you $100 more. I don't think its worth that price difference.

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

Exactly, and I don't believe theres a massive difference both, maybe 5 fps range or 10 second range on rendering...

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

So both basically perform kind of equally, one bit faster than the other in some activities but both still are good right?

Don't forget that the more software that comes out, the more chances it will use threaded performance, which makes the Ryzen the sound choice. Plus the chipset is guaranteed supported until 2020 (unlike Intel which will probably be defunct soon like the 7th series lasted 9 months).

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

That's true, but as I said before, sadly, it is imposible for me to get one of these Ryzen CPUS here in Mexico, and if the CPU is imposible to get, imagine a compatible MoBo. So I think I might go for the i7, I know the Ryzen might perform better on tasks like modelling, but still, according to benchmarks, there's not a massive difference between both, I will do my work just fine with both of them. The socket has been in use for a while now, so maybe in few years I might upgrade to a higher thread and core processor.

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

Shipping to Mexico, atleast 20 dollars for shipping and other 25-40 duty taxes... quite more expensive.

So you have proved my point. It is still cheaper to import it from Newegg than it is to buy one locally and you get a better CPU for the things you want to use it for, and you don't need a cooler.

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

I already have a cooler, but is costs like 350 dollars to get the i7 in local shops in Mexico, while it is impossible to get the Ryzen, only newegg or b&h, while it might cost 300-320, the shipping (25) plus the more or less 50 duty taxes rise the price up to around 380 dollars, also there's no way to make bills in US shops, while it is on Mexican shops, those tax bills can get me back 32 dollars from the purchase, leaving the i7 at 318 dollars.

Honestly, I doubt it's worth the trouble of having to pay duties/taxes just to get the 2700X. Considering the OP already has a decent cooler, the fact that the 2700X already comes with a cooler isn't really a benefit to the OP. The OP could slap the H80i on his 8700k without any adapter brackets. You will still have a fantastic experience with the 8700k.

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

The thing is that I'm afraid that getting the i7 will cause me some trouble on my work, gaming I know it won't, but I do some 3D modelling and light video editing, not 4K so I'm worried that the 8 core CPU will have been worth it, making me regret.

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

So basically the Ryzen works on less percentage of load on the same tasks that the i7 would run higher percentage. The i7 has faster single core speeds while the Ryzen has higher multi core speeds, logically due to 2 extra cores. So in games, the i7 is faster while the ryzen in multi-core tasks might be faster, but some of the applications i use to model and edit are actually single cored, weird but true. So I might go for the i7.