Question Is this pc good for the price? (budget pc)

Cubixty

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
CPU : Ryzen 3 1200
Mobo : Gigabyte A320M
GPU : GTX 970 Twin Frozr V 4GB
PSU : EVGA 500 W1
RAM : Corsair Vengeance (2x4) DDR4 2133MHz
Case : CIT Seven
HDD : Wesern Digital 1TB
SSD : Kingston 60GB (for the system)

Im buying all these parts (excluding the gpu which I traded for a phone) for £201 . Is this good for the price? Is there anything I could change (my max budgets £230) . Thanks!

kanewolf

Titan
If you can't afford at least a 250GB SSD, then skip it for now. 60GB is too small and will keep filling up. Take the 1TB HDD and partition it to a 200GB and 800GB partition for C: and D: Then when you have enough money for a 250GB SSD, you can just clone the C: drive over to the SSD.

Cubixty

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
If you can't afford at least a 250GB SSD, then skip it for now. 60GB is too small and will keep filling up. Take the 1TB HDD and partition it to a 200GB and 800GB partition for C: and D: Then when you have enough money for a 250GB SSD, you can just clone the C: drive over to the SSD.
I could buy the 250gb ssd . Other than that is it good (for gaming)

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
That SSD will be too small for the OS to properly update on, so it will cause issue.
Make sure that the specific model of RAM you have selected is on the motherboard QVL list. Gen one had particular problems with that.

Considering it is a budget build for "gaming" I make a couple of alternate suggestions as these others have...I make the guess than you opted for used parts for that pricing.

Sub a 1050ti in for the 970, which "should" free you up for a B350 series motherboard. Might even be able to pull an RX series card. The B chipset will allow the ability to OC that processor which will help that 1200 a LOT. If you can't find faster RAM I wouldn't sweat that much, but tend to echo the above sentiment that if you can't source something at least ~120GB for the SSD to skip that for now.

That SSD will be too small for the OS to properly update on, so it will cause issue.
Make sure that the specific model of RAM you have selected is on the motherboard QVL list. Gen one had particular problems with that.

Considering it is a budget build for "gaming" I make a couple of alternate suggestions as these others have...I make the guess than you opted for used parts for that pricing.

Sub a 1050ti in for the 970, which "should" free you up for a B350 series motherboard. Might even be able to pull an RX series card. The B chipset will allow the ability to OC that processor which will help that 1200 a LOT. If you can't find faster RAM I wouldn't sweat that much, but tend to echo the above sentiment that if you can't source something at least ~120GB for the SSD to skip that for now.
Also the RAM should be 2666 or faster

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Also the RAM should be 2666 or faster

I would select the highest speed RAM you can afford to get you up and running. Also, according to the motherboard you choose on final end, if it only has two slots I would take the hit to buy only one stick of 8GB now to leave a slot open for another stick in a few weeks (or so) such that you aren't wasting money on a 2x4 kit you will have to just set aside. Even for productivity 16GB is the current sweet spot even aside from gaming.

I would select the highest speed RAM you can afford to get you up and running. Also, according to the motherboard you choose on final end, if it only has two slots I would take the hit to buy only one stick of 8GB now to leave a slot open for another stick in a few weeks (or so) such that you aren't wasting money on a 2x4 kit you will have to just set aside. Even for productivity 16GB is the current sweet spot even aside from gaming.
The performance hit on Ryzen is just too big for that, rather run 8GB for longer

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The performance hit on Ryzen is just too big for that, rather run 8GB for longer

Where I don't disagree, dual channel is better, being that we are talking about a budget build I see saving the money for the kit that will need to be swapped better in the long run budget scope.

Much like I suggested taking the performance hit from the 970 to a 1050ti, due to my envisioning this as a 60 frame gaming machine, I am just not sure it's going to make a critical difference over the course of a few weeks as opposed to that much longer gaming on 8GB while trying to save for that entire new kit.

Just my .02

edit to add that I feel like his shopping choices are being limited by what is actually available, used, in his market too. I think both of us are making suggestions based on what we would do on the open/new market.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
CPU : Ryzen 3 1200
Mobo : Gigabyte A320M
GPU : GTX 970 Twin Frozr V 4GB
PSU : EVGA 500 W1
RAM : Corsair Vengeance (2x4) DDR4 2133MHz
Case : CIT Seven
HDD : Wesern Digital 1TB
SSD : Kingston 60GB (for the system)

Im buying all these parts (excluding the gpu which I traded for a phone) for £201 . Is this good for the price? Is there anything I could change (my max budgets £230) . Thanks!

Without the GPU all the parts combined new are about £180 so not much of a profit margin unless the seller is using used components.

1. Very slow RAM with a RYZEN but at least a A320 allows you to overclock it so it's possible to see it at 2666mhz.
  2. 8 GB is Tight nowadays, you can make it work by closing everything but the game itself.
  3. 60GB SSD is good enough for Windows only "Boot Drive."
  4. EVGA 500 W1 It works just not fantastic.
  1. -Ripple at +12V is on the high side at full load
  2. -Fan is Loud but it should last the 3 year Warrenty.
This is neither a good or bad deal and up to you if you want to buy at Cost.

Cubixty

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
Then should I get a B450M motherboard or are they practically the same?

edit : also I forgot to mention Im only going to use this build for light gaming like : Fortnite , CS:GO , Paladins and Euro Truck Simulator 2 .