[SOLVED] Is this pc worth it?

rjcard32315

Commendable
Jul 29, 2018
Someone locally is selling a i7 6700, GTX 960 4gb, 16 gb ram and a 1tb hard drive Alienware for 230 dollars including a 75 hz monitor and keyboard and razer mouse. Should I spend my money on this bundle? Or save and buy a custom pc so I’m not stuck with the oem?

Solution
just make sure you have any sort of buyer protection on wherever you bought the thing. although I must say that the reason is pretty sketchy on my ears. But hey, if the site you bought it from has a good reputation, there's no harm on trying it, and just refund it if it turned out to be a scam. and make sure to benchmark the performance too and compare it online as some people tried to scam people by tricking the BIOS or flashing their GPU with other names.

rjcard32315

Commendable
Jul 29, 2018
That's damn cheap...
"What's wrong with it?", is the first thing that would come to mind with that price... or maybe they're just trying to get rid of it all...
I already asked them and they’re reply was that the case is a small, and the style of gaming they tried to use on the Alienware didn’t fit their “style”. And they didn’t want a great pc just sitting there. Sound sketch?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I already asked them and they’re reply was that the case is a small, and the style of gaming they tried to use on the Alienware didn’t fit their “style”. And they didn’t want a great pc just sitting there. Sound sketch?
Ok~. This is how I feel about those details:

case is a small
Ok, it's small, what else? Do they have something against small cases? Is something broken in/on the case? This is really broad, and only yields more questions than answers.

style of gaming they tried to use on the Alienware didn’t fit their “style”
What the hell is a 'style of gaming'?
Was the PC not meeting their gaming fps target? <- Is that the 'style' they're referring to? First time hearing something like that.
A GTX 960 would be considered low end these days, but the I7-6700 would still be fairly relevant... that combo should be at least 60fps medium, maybe high graphics(depending on the game) at 1080p.

they didn’t want a great pc just sitting there.
Now, this one, I get. It makes sense to me if it's just taking up space, or they needed to make a quick buck, but - BUT! They also could make more from trying to sell the parts individually.

I would request a visit to see him play a few titles to be sure - or some kind of visual proof that it still works - and no sneaky videos from 3 years ago!

Reactions: rjcard32315

Irisena

Commendable
Oct 1, 2019
just make sure you have any sort of buyer protection on wherever you bought the thing. although I must say that the reason is pretty sketchy on my ears. But hey, if the site you bought it from has a good reputation, there's no harm on trying it, and just refund it if it turned out to be a scam. and make sure to benchmark the performance too and compare it online as some people tried to scam people by tricking the BIOS or flashing their GPU with other names.

Solution

rjcard32315

Commendable
Jul 29, 2018
Good to know I will make sure to do that

rjcard32315

Commendable
Jul 29, 2018
Ok~. This is how I feel about those details:

Ok, it's small, what else? Do they have something against small cases? Is something broken in/on the case? This is really broad, and only yields more questions than answers.

What the hell is a 'style of gaming'?
Was the PC not meeting their gaming fps target? <- Is that the 'style' they're referring to? First time hearing something like that.
A GTX 960 would be considered low end these days, but the I7-6700 would still be fairly relevant... that combo should be at least 60fps medium, maybe high graphics(depending on the game) at 1080p.

Now, this one, I get. It makes sense to me if it's just taking up space, or they needed to make a quick buck, but - BUT! They also could make more from trying to sell the parts individually.

I would request a visit to see him play a few titles to be sure - or some kind of visual proof that it still works - and no sneaky videos from 3 years ago!
Okay I’ll ask, he seems like a nice person so if he says no I guess that’ll be the deal breaker. Thanks for your help