Question Is this peak or continuous?

PaulosK

Reputable
May 25, 2019
Hello. Do you know if this psu has 500 peak Wattage or can provide continous 500 W?

https://www.akyga.com/products/5-power-supply-atx-ak-b1-500-500w.html

Also ,I need to power a pc that has a geforce 9600gt, unknown cpu, one unknown gigabyte mobo from 2010, 2 hdds and optionally, one cd/dvd reader. Is this psu enough for this rig?
Btw the geforce 9600gt needs a pci power cable, right? I saw that it has 6 pci power connectors on it, but i am not sure if they are needed or if the pcie can provide enough energy for it to work.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That is not a good power supply. Very old school. 70% efficient is terrible, it is providing way more 5V and 3.3V then is typical in even a 2010 computer. This would be better called a 250W power supply.

9600GT should be, at most, a 95W GPU. That is nearly half the available power from that power supply on the 12V rail. With an unknown CPU, I would not use this.

Can't say if it is continuous, but regardless, this is not something you want to buy.

Wow, it includes an 8-pin PCIe connector. By the accepted standards, that would be 150W to a GPU, with 75W available through the slot. So they think you can run a 225W GPU with a 264W max output, while also providing the supplemental 4-pin for the CPU, which typical CPUs of the time would be between 75 and 125W on their own. Let alone the drives, fans, memory, and board power...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
mpb550 doesn't look terrible based on the numbers. At that price point I would question whether they would actually attain 80 plus bronze (simultaneously they claim 90 efficiency, which is better than bronze...)

Still at least it has more up to date design. Saying Haswell ready means it is at least ATX 2.31 (supposedly)

PaulosK

Reputable
May 25, 2019
mpb550 doesn't look terrible based on the numbers. At that price point I would question whether they would actually attain 80 plus bronze (simultaneously they claim 90 efficiency, which is better than bronze...)

Still at least it has more up to date design. Saying Haswell ready means it is at least ATX 2.31 (supposedly)
so, is it ok for this? I really have no idea about psu's. Btw, I found the gpu's requirements:
'400 Watt/450 Watt or greater power supply with a minimum of 26 Amp/28 Amp on the +12 volt rail.'

https://www.evga.com/products/specs/gpu.aspx?pn=B01CE8BD-4008-454D-B7F7-FE746398ABA4

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If those are your options, it is the one I would pick.

Those recommendations err on the side of caution since they can't have details about the rest of the system (which is also the case here).

Having 40 amps on the 12V rail more than meets their recommendation. We just have to hope the rest of the computer isn't super high end. In 2010 my older system has a 125W CPU, and the my latest had a 135W stock chip. A typical consumer CPU of the day would be a lot less though.

Reactions: PaulosK

PaulosK

Reputable
May 25, 2019
If those are your options, it is the one I would pick.

Those recommendations err on the side of caution since they can't have details about the rest of the system (which is also the case here).

Having 40 amps on the 12V rail more than meets their recommendation. We just have to hope the rest of the computer isn't super high end. In 2010 my older system has a 125W CPU, and the my latest had a 135W stock chip. A typical consumer CPU of the day would be a lot less though.
thank you very much! <3
It is an office computer and I didnt have any screwdriver with me, so unfortunatly, I couldn't see more info about the pc.

PaulosK

Reputable
May 25, 2019

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, cooler master is at least a known brand, and there are some reviews out there for this unit. (It is a very old one, probably looking at 2014 release)

That is probably their lowest end product though. No 80 plus rating, No Over Current Protection is a little disturbing, but it does have thermal protection, so it will shut down before melting.

The warning label doesn't match the product, it doesn't have a voltage selector since it is a 230V PSU only it seems.

Still, has a decent 12V rail, wouldn't be the worst choice out there.

Advantages:

• good voltage condition on power lines;
  • low voltage drops when connected to a powerful configuration;
  • very low ripple;
  • the presence of a number of protections, including from overheating;
  • low power consumption in sleep mode and when the computer is off;
  • active reactive power compensation method;
  • using Taiwanese capacitors.
Peculiarities:

• fan based on a plain bearing;
  • the noise is above average at loads over 400 watts.
Flaws:

• increased heating of the main transformer.

PaulosK

Reputable
May 25, 2019
Well, cooler master is at least a known brand, and there are some reviews out there for this unit. (It is a very old one, probably looking at 2014 release)

That is probably their lowest end product though. No 80 plus rating, No Over Current Protection is a little disturbing, but it does have thermal protection, so it will shut down before melting.

The warning label doesn't match the product, it doesn't have a voltage selector since it is a 230V PSU only it seems.

Still, has a decent 12V rail, wouldn't be the worst choice out there.

Advantages:

• good voltage condition on power lines;
  • low voltage drops when connected to a powerful configuration;
  • very low ripple;
  • the presence of a number of protections, including from overheating;
  • low power consumption in sleep mode and when the computer is off;
  • active reactive power compensation method;
  • using Taiwanese capacitors.
Peculiarities:

• fan based on a plain bearing;
  • the noise is above average at loads over 400 watts.
Flaws:

• increased heating of the main transformer.
( i posted this from my phone and I thought I made a new thread, that's weird)

I don't care if it is perfect, I will only do some wordpress editing and probably use gimp. It won't put the system under stress. I just want it to work. From your answer, I understand that the coolermaster will work fine for me. Thanks <3