[SOLVED] Is this possible?

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
Is the following setup possible? I want to use a WD Black SN750 250 GB NVME SSD on one M.2 slot. The other M.2 slot will have an Optane Memory 16GB. And a SATA 1 TB WD blue HDD. Motherboard is ASUS PRIME Z390 - P

RealBeast

Titan
Is the following setup possible? I want to use a WD Black SN750 250 GB NVME SSD on one M.2 slot. The other M.2 slot will have an Optane Memory 16GB. And a SATA 1 TB WD blue HDD. Motherboard is ASUS PRIME Z390 - P
While you can use Optane in one of the 2 M.2 storage ports, IMO it is not very useful as it is only a cache and really is not nearly as useful as just getting another M.2 SSD.

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
While you can use Optane in one of the 2 M.2 storage ports, IMO it is not very useful as it is only a cache and really is not nearly as useful as just getting another M.2 SSD.
OH but when I boot to either the nvme ssd or the WD hdd, do I have to designate which drive the optane memory should boost? Because the nvme ssd itself is fast enough already. I don't need any further boost

RealBeast

Titan
OH but when I boot to either the nvme ssd or the WD hdd, do I have to designate which drive the optane memory should boost? Because the nvme ssd itself is fast enough already. I don't need any further boost
You have to use the Intel RAID drivers to set it up. It's useless for the NVMe drive and really provides no speed improvement for HDDs, which is why SSHDs never took off. It would be much better to either just save the port for future use or if you want it now add another NVMe stick.

Moreover, you can create a cache up to 64GB with an NVMe stick for use with the HDD anyway, which again I do not recommend since you get little in the way of a performance increase.

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
You have to use the Intel RAID drivers to set it up. It's useless for the NVMe drive and really provides no speed improvement for HDDs, which is why SSHDs never took off. It would be much better to either just save the port for future use or if you want it now add another NVMe stick.

Moreover, you can create a cache up to 64GB with an NVMe stick for use with the HDD anyway, which again I do not recommend since you get little in the way of a performance increase.
So when I boot to either NVME ssd or the WD hdd, the optane memory will boost the OS drive in use? Because nvme ssd is for work, and WD hdd is for games

USAFRet

Titan
Ohhh...what an anti-climax...so forgo this setup?
It gets set up as a pseudoRAID with one drive. Can't just switch back and forth.

I would absolutely not consider an Optane module for this.

For some rare (corporate) uses, it can be beneficial.
For instance, a database server. Needs to hold LOTS of data (HDD), but needs a limited small space of fast access for a tiny amount of data....the stored procedures and queries.
There, the stored proc runs fast, and requests the desired data from the spinning drive.

For a consumer system? Not even a little bit. Waste of an M.2 port.

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
It gets set up as a pseudoRAID with one drive. Can't just switch back and forth.

I would absolutely not consider an Optane module for this.

For some rare (corporate) uses, it can be beneficial.
For instance, a database server. Needs to hold LOTS of data (HDD), but needs a limited small space of fast access for a tiny amount of data....the stored procedures and queries.
There, the stored proc runs fast, and requests the desired data from the spinning drive.

For a consumer system? Not even a little bit. Waste of an M.2 port.
Oh I see. So...no point in considering optane memory at all ?