Question Is this possibly the cheapest AM4 upgrade?

noname223

Prominent
May 15, 2023
Hello guys so recently i looked online and found some good deals, this will be my first am4 build and i was looking for something cheap, and i was wondering if this build that i chose is good enough or can be "considered" for a mid gaming tier.

For the motherboard i went for the
-MSI A520M-A Pro (Bnew) = $44.64
Ram
- 32 gb 3200mhz hyper X =$44.5
And lastly for the cpu i went for the
- ryzen 5 3600 =$62.13 (2nd hand)

This was the cheapest components that i could find and i was planning to pair it with my Rx 580 8gb that i currently use, is this decent enough for the price?

Reactions: Flayed and Why_Me

Lutfij

Titan
Decent, yes! You should make sure you're on he latest BIOS update and you should be high flying with that system. I would be questioning what the make and model of your PSU is though. If it's used, you might want to mention what it's age is and what it powered prior during it's lifetime.

Reactions: noname223

noname223

Prominent
May 15, 2023
Decent, yes! You should make sure you're on he latest BIOS update and you should be high flying with that system. I would be questioning what the make and model of your PSU is though. If it's used, you might want to mention what it's age is and what it powered prior during it's lifetime.
thank u!! The psu that ive been using rn is a taiwanese psu brand called (ramsta modular atx 3.0 650 w 80+ bronze) its fairly new like 3 months old, is it sufficient?

I also want to add if it will boot the first time without updating bios? Like out of the box with the (ryzen 5 3600)
+ sorry 😅
If it did boot and i updated the bios to the latest version would i still be able to use the 5 3600 (im worried it wont boot or anything)

Thank u in advance!!!

Most no name ATX 3.0 PSUs will fail the transient load case tests. the RX580 would not have high transient loads, but any GPU upgrade you do in the future will be affected.

I will leave this link for your reference.

Tier A recommended. Tier B as the minimum.

Reactions: noname223

noname223

Prominent
May 15, 2023
Most no name ATX 3.0 PSUs will fail the transient load case tests. the RX580 would not have high transient loads, but any GPU upgrade you do in the future will be affected.

I will leave this link for your reference.

Tier A recommended. Tier B as the minimum.

Thank u so much! If i do have decided to upgrade a psu what can u recommend that won't really break the bank? Around $55 to $70 tops

The good models costs 100 USD unfortunately.

But let me put it this way: you will have no headache for 10 years. No problems with GPU upgrades.

I would recommend a 850W and call it a day - enough to support any 350W card like the 4080 or the 7900XT

If you want to get the absolute lowest, Seasonic 750w:

Both models are ATX 3.0 units with 16 pin power connector and come with 10 year warranty.

You unfortunately missed black friday. You could have snagged a Tier A 850W PSU for 85 or 90 USD.