[SOLVED] Is this power supply enough for my EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING card?

wormio

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2015
Hello,

I've recently gotten an EVGA 3080 Ti FTW 3 Ultra Gaming card, only thing missing is a power supply and a case. Is this power supply enough for such a powerful card?
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-GT-0850-Y1

Keep in mind I might overclock it when I feel like it.. so is the 850 Watt enough for overclocking it over long periods of time? Or should I get a 1000W power supply to also future-proof myself if I decide to ugprade to a 5080 Ti in the future?

Solution
If you get another flagship graphics card in five years, then, at that time, you would probably be wise to also get another power supply at that time. Regardless of the warranty period, if I'd been running a power supply for five years doing some hard gaming, then bought a new card, I'd also want a new power supply most likely.

Both the RMx and HX units are excellent. The HX is defiitely better, but you could absolutely do a LOT worse than the RMx. Be sure when you buy it that it IS the RMx, not the RM, because while those units are "ok" too, they aren't as good as the RMx units.
It has enough capacity, but it's not a top quality unit. It's also not a fire bomb. It's squarely just a notch or two above mediocre, seems to be based on the HEC TPK platform. For a graphics card like yours, I'd be inclined to be looking at higher quality power supplies even though the market for PSUs is flubbed up right now. If you can afford that graphics card, you can afford a better PSU to protect that graphics card and the rest of your system.

And by "better" I don't just mean "bigger". I mean internal build quality, internal component selection and protections.

Reactions: jonnyguru

wormio

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2015
It has enough capacity, but it's not a top quality unit. It's also not a fire bomb. It's squarely just a notch or two above mediocre, seems to be based on the HEC TPK platform. For a graphics card like yours, I'd be inclined to be looking at higher quality power supplies even though the market for PSUs is flubbed up right now. If you can afford that graphics card, you can afford a better PSU to protect that graphics card and the rest of your system.

And by "better" I don't just mean "bigger". I mean internal build quality, internal component selection and protections.

I really appreciate your response! I had a feeling it's not a top quality unit.. yes I do want the best! So is this good enough? https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-HX1000-Platinum-Certified-Modular/dp/B01N5NWKHH#

Actually not, it's cheaper (aside for Jap caps for marketing bullet point), i've bought and disassembled 650W one.
Well, then Jon must have been mistaken in his earlier assessment, since that was the only point of reference I had for this unit's internals. Either that, or there are differences depending on model capacity, in which case, the one you disassembled at 650w might also not be the same as he referred to at 750w.

wow.. I'm glad I didn't go ahead with that 850w GT Evga PSU.. Thank GOD for me being suspicious and asking you guys first! So should I go with this? Corsair HX1000-Platinum https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-HX1000-Platinum-Certified-Modular/dp/B01N5NWKHH#

I can get it for $231 in my country.
Yes, the HX units are excellent. Whether you NEED a "1000w" model or need to spend quite that much, is totally up to you, but if you plan to do some moderate overclocking on top of having the 3080 ti, then it's probably not out of line either.

wormio

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2015
Yes, the HX units are excellent. Whether you NEED a "1000w" model or need to spend quite that much, is totally up to you, but if you plan to do some moderate overclocking on top of having the 3080 ti, then it's probably not out of line either.

Not only overclocking.. I mentioned that it would probably future proof me if I were to ever get a 5080 Ti in 4 years or so.. don't you agree? Instead of having to buy another power supply in 4 to 5 years just because the next GPU might need more than 850W.

wormio

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2015

Actually sorry guys, I was wrong about the HX being only $231 it's $300 as you guys said. I meant the RM: https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-RM1000X-1000w-GOLD-MODULAR/dp/B015PWMTJ2/ref=sr_1_3_mod_primary_new?dchild=1&keywords=Corsair+RM1000x+-+1000+Watt+80+PLUS+Gold+Certified+Fully+Modular+PSU&qid=1626461888&s=electronics&sbo=RZvfv//HxDF+O5021pAnSA==&sr=1-3

So should I go for the RM 1000W or HX 1000W?

If you get another flagship graphics card in five years, then, at that time, you would probably be wise to also get another power supply at that time. Regardless of the warranty period, if I'd been running a power supply for five years doing some hard gaming, then bought a new card, I'd also want a new power supply most likely.

Both the RMx and HX units are excellent. The HX is defiitely better, but you could absolutely do a LOT worse than the RMx. Be sure when you buy it that it IS the RMx, not the RM, because while those units are "ok" too, they aren't as good as the RMx units.

Solution

wormio

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2015

first of all thanks for being really active and responding patiently to my stupid questions..

secondly, if that's the case, then I don't need a 1000W power supply.. and might just go with an 850W power supply, as long as I can overclock my 3080 Ti safely.. if you can confirm that to me.. I would go with a 850W.

I can get this one: Corsair RM850 - 850 Watt 80 PLUS Gold Certified Fully Modular PSU

or Corsair RM1000x - 1000 Watt 80 PLUS Gold Certified Fully Modular PSU

the 850W isnt an x I've noticed though... so maybe you wouldn't recommend it?

The price difference between them is $48 for me, so should I pay the extra $48 and get the Corsair RM1000x??

first of all thanks for being really active and responding patiently to my stupid questions..

secondly, if that's the case, then I don't need a 1000W power supply.. and might just go with an 850W power supply, as long as I can overclock my 3080 Ti safely.. if you can confirm that to me.. I would go with a 850W.

I can get this one: Corsair RM850 - 850 Watt 80 PLUS Gold Certified Fully Modular PSU

or Corsair RM1000x - 1000 Watt 80 PLUS Gold Certified Fully Modular PSU

the 850W isnt an x I've noticed though... so maybe you wouldn't recommend it?

The price difference between them is $48 for me, so should I pay the extra $48 and get the Corsair RM1000x??

All the important points about quality have already been made in this thread, but I simply wanted to mention that I agree with your line of thinking as I did something similar with my build.

After needing to upgrade from my Corsair TX650 to something more powerful, I decided that I didn't want to keep upgrading my PSU every few years in 100 watt increments, so I bought a Corsair AX1000 (which comes with the requisite 10 year warranty) knowing that while it was expensive, I don't have to worry about upgrading it anytime soon.

I'd personally go with the RM1000x. Future-proof yourself so that you're not spending several hundred dollars AGAIN in 4-5 years.

wormio

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2015