[SOLVED] Is this power supply good?

Solution
NO!
That looks like an obsolete psu where much of the output is on 3 and 5v outputs.
That was important long time ago.
Today, the 12v is where you need the amperage for cpu and gpu operation.
The image shows 22a.
A quality modern 550w psu will show 45a.
That psu is more like a 230w fire hazard.

Do not buy a cheap psu.

A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It may not have all safety and overload protections.
The danger is if it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability;
issues that are hard to diagnose.
The fan will need...

Ralston18

Titan
NO!
That looks like an obsolete psu where much of the output is on 3 and 5v outputs.
The image shows 22a.

Do not buy a cheap psu.

A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It may not have all safety and overload protections.
The danger is if it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The fan will need to spin up higher to cool it, making it noisy.
A cheap PSU can become very expensive.

Do not buy one.

A psu is a long term investment.

Look for a unit with a 7 to 10 year warranty.
Here is a handy chart for sizing a psu:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say by 20%.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler and quieter.
Modern graphics cards can have high power demand spikes that need to be handled.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.

Reactions: Shalou
Solution

Shalou

Prominent
Sep 17, 2021
NO!
The image shows 22a.

Do not buy a cheap psu.

The fan will need to spin up higher to cool it, making it noisy.
A cheap PSU can become very expensive.

Do not buy one.

A psu is a long term investment.

Look for a unit with a 7 to 10 year warranty.
Here is a handy chart for sizing a psu:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say by 20%.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler and quieter.
Modern graphics cards can have high power demand spikes that need to be handled.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.
I currently don't use any GPUs on my system, running it through iGPU. How long can I use this thing without GPU in it and without worrying? I currently don't have any budget to buy a new power supply, so I have to save up for a few months.

I currently don't use any GPUs on my system, running it through iGPU. How long can I use this thing without GPU in it and without worrying? I currently don't have any budget to buy a new power supply, so I have to save up for a few months.
YOU asked the question.
What prompted you to do so?
If this is a new psu, there have to be better options.
If this is one you are using now, have you had any strange issues that might be power related.
How long would you have to save up if the psu failed and destroyed your motherboard?

Since you have had no problems , and you own this unit, you could assume that it would run forever.
Not exactly true, since power supplies DO age over time.
This is all a moot point since you do not have the funds to upgrade your pc, you might as well keep on running, and... worrying.

Shalou

Prominent
Sep 17, 2021
YOU asked the question.
What prompted you to do so?
If this is a new psu, there have to be better options.
If this is one you are using now, have you had any strange issues that might be power related.
How long would you have to save up if the psu failed and destroyed your motherboard?

Since you have had no problems , and you own this unit, you could assume that it would run forever.
Not exactly true, since power supplies DO age over time.
This is all a moot point since you do not have the funds to upgrade your pc, you might as well keep on running, and... worrying.
Well then at this point it seems like I'm just running my computer while holding a gun at it's head. I live on my parents' money so when something goes wrong I can't just "beepy boopy bap, replaced". I built this system while caring for every single dollar, lol.

Reactions: I do not know 1 2 3

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
View: https://imgur.com/a/51gUTdQ

It's rated 500W and 650W max. Is it actually like that?
:homer:

It doesn't even have proper markings. That 500W written as "DC Output max." should be the almost the sum of the two 12V rails (if they are both good true 12v rails, doubtful). Not just half of it with the standby.

There's probably no PFC either, not even passive. Is there mention of PFC? If no that would result in a power factor of around 0.6? Which means efficiency is nada on this. Even IF it can deliver clean continuous 500W it would draw over 800W from the mains to do that.

And I guess "Valtage" and "Urrent" are measured in valts and umps?

Hope you can get a good quality unit soon.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Well then at this point it seems like I'm just running my computer while holding a gun at it's head.

Pretty much. You asked about the PSU, after all, and nobody here is going to tell you something is safe when it is not.

I live on my parents' money so when something goes wrong I can't just "beepy boopy bap, replaced". I built this system while caring for every single dollar, lol.

Caring for every single dollar means getting a quality PSU once rather than a junk PSU repeatedly!