Oct 20, 2020
So I was looking into buying a new PC since my current one is relatively outdated, and I came across what I thought was a good deal. The specs seemed good to me and I checked pcpartpicker to see if it was a good price for what was in it, and it still seemed like a good deal. It was on sale for $1699 (CAD) with 15 days to return it, so I picked it up and decided I'd do more research afterwards and then decide to return it or not. This is where I'm at now. This is the link to the PC: https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=1446_1448&item_id=180393

My problem is that I recently watched a video on YouTube about some prebuilt PCs being scams and the person making the video talked about a lot of them lacking proper cooling. From the website, this PC doesn't seem to have any intake fans so I'm just wondering if anyone more knowledgable than me can let me know if this PC is worth it or if there are any glaring issues with it. I apologize if I sound dumb here I'm just not very educated on this topic.

Solution
They're not so much "scams", but rather they generally skimp on parts people don't notice.

I see a lot of bling, but little info on some of the parts involved.

What:
PSU
Specific motherboard. "B460" tells us little
The whole cooling situation
etc

And of course, the warranty. Most of those parts might have a 3-5-10 year warranty on their own. In that thing, 1 year.

For $1900CAD, you can almost certainly build something better.

USAFRet

Titan
They're not so much "scams", but rather they generally skimp on parts people don't notice.

What:
PSU
etc

And of course, the warranty. Most of those parts might have a 3-5-10 year warranty on their own. In that thing, 1 year.

Solution
Oct 20, 2020

What:
PSU
etc

I think you have to scroll further down on the "Overview" section and it says some more of the specifics there. It says that the PSU is the default 600W that comes with the case, motherboard is the B460M DS3H AC, but yea the cooling was a concern for me. I wouldn't done it for 1900 but 1700 seemed decent to me. In that case you'd recommend returning it?
Thanks for your help

Oct 20, 2020
They're not universally terrible, but you have to be REAL careful about what is included.

There are other makes that are categorically in the No Buy column.
I appreciate the help. I'll most likely return it then. Is there anything you'd recommend around that $1700 CAD price point then?

Oct 20, 2020
That amount is WAY over my personal build/buy line.
For me, anything over $5-600 means build, unless there are strong reasons not to.
I see. The main reason I thought about prebuilt is because I don't really know anything about how to build a PC so it would just be more convenient for me to buy a prebuilt one

USAFRet

Titan
Ok that makes sense. How much would having a "not so good" motherboard affect someone in terms of day to day use?
Initially, not much. It will run.
Later, when you want to explore more hardware intensive software, or replace the GPU, or maybe even a bit of overclocking...then the problems can appear.
Both the mediocre motherboard, and the PSU.

$1600 deserves "good". Not the other one.
This is why my buy/build line is $500. 100% control over the parts list and assembly.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
I was just at Best Buy today and they have new Alienwares for $1669. If you're determined to get a prebuilt for that kind of money, you may as well get one made from good parts and with a better warranty than a mom and pop shop can offer. You also have only one vendor to deal with when something goes wrong, instead of multiple vendors if you build it yourself and can't track down exactly what is wrong on your own. Is it the motherboard? The CPU? The video card? The power supply? You have to deal with each vendor individually until you find the problem. With the Alienware, you just get an RMA number and pack the whole thing up and send it back to Dell for a replacement and let them deal with finding the problem and arguing with the manufacturer about reimbursing them for the defective part.

Oct 20, 2020
I was just at Best Buy today and they have new Alienwares for $1669. If you're determined to get a prebuilt for that kind of money, you may as well get one made from good parts and with a better warranty than a mom and pop shop can offer. You also have only one vendor to deal with when something goes wrong, instead of multiple vendors if you build it yourself and can't track down exactly what is wrong on your own. Is it the motherboard? The CPU? The video card? The power supply? You have to deal with each vendor individually until you find the problem. With the Alienware, you just get an RMA number and pack the whole thing up and send it back to Dell for a replacement and let them deal with finding the problem and arguing with the manufacturer about reimbursing them for the defective part.
Thanks for the reply. Yea after thinking about it I decided to return it and probably build one in a few months (when the 3070 becomes readily available).