Question Is this problem due to a faulty motherboard?

TillScout

Reputable
Jul 10, 2017
I have a self built PC which is running for around seven years now without a problem. Yesterday, in the middle of streaming on Netflix, the screen froze. Only a hard reset worked. After the reset, the PC went on and off a couple of times, one time I briefly saw that it booted into BIOS. Then it booted back into the OS, but network was down. I turned it off and tried again today. Now I see the "power on" light for ~2 seconds, then it goes off again. The fans all briefly turn on and then off again. Then there is a pause of ~10 seconds until which the cycle starts again. It does not boot into BIOS or the OS anymore. My screen also briefly goes on without showing anything, so there seems to be a signal, which then disappears again.

Can this be due to a faulty motherboard? I visually inspected the board, but could not see any burned capacitors or something like that. Is there any way to determine, where the problem is? Unfortunately I do not know how to gather any more information.
This is my system:
Mainboard: GigaByte H87-HD3
CPU: Xeon E3-1230v3
GPU: GeForce GTX 760
PSU: Cooler Master G550M

thank you!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Could you include the full specs to your build while also mentioning the make and model of the PSU and it's(if it's older than 8 years)? I'm leaning on the PSU being incapable of delivering power to the entire system, after 8 years of service.

TillScout

Reputable
Jul 10, 2017
Hi Luftij,

I added the details in my original question. While looking the details up, I saw that it was only seven years ago that I built it.
Do you think that a faulty/old PSU could make the screen freeze? Would it not rather turn off or go into some failure mode? I should probably mention that this happened in Ubuntu 18.04.

thanks!

TillScout

Reputable
Jul 10, 2017
Could you include the full specs to your build while also mentioning the make and model of the PSU and it's(if it's older than 8 years)? I'm leaning on the PSU being incapable of delivering power to the entire system, after 8 years of service.
I just removed the GPU to reduce power consumption, but I still have the same problem. That does not ultimately rule out the PSU, but it was worth a try.