Question Is this processor compatible with my motherboard?

Jun 9, 2019
Sorry if there are spelling mistakes, I'm using the google translator.
I was offered a Phenom ii x4 B97 Processor, my motherboard is the following ... GA-MA78GM-US2H rev 1.0.

It's compatible? Do I need to update the bios? How can I update it if it's compatible?

This processor is equal in performance that a Phenom ii x4 945?

Would it be worth it? I want to change it for a keyboard with mouse gamer

DSzymborski

Titan
It's not listed in the compatibility chart. It probably works because it's unlikely that a lot of companies tested it on their motherboards at the time as this was a fairly obscure CPU used by OEMs, but it's not a certainty. If you currently have a 945, the B97 is very slightly faster, but not by much. It's certainly not powerful enough to risk the chance it doesn't work at all.

Really, the only upgrade that makes sense would be a very inexpensive Phenom II X6, if you use applications that benefit from extra cores. But I wouldn't drop much money into this build, we're talking decade-old components now.

I'm not sure what the last sentence in your post means.

Jun 9, 2019
It's not listed in the compatibility chart. It probably works because it's unlikely that a lot of companies tested it on their motherboards at the time as this was a fairly obscure CPU used by OEMs, but it's not a certainty. If you currently have a 945, the B97 is very slightly faster, but not by much. It's certainly not powerful enough to risk the chance it doesn't work at all.

Really, the only upgrade that makes sense would be a very inexpensive Phenom II X6, if you use applications that benefit from extra cores. But I wouldn't drop much money into this build, we're talking decade-old components now.

I'm not sure what the last sentence in your post means.

Hello, my processor is currently an Athlon 64 x2 5000+. And the b97 caught my attention because nobody in my city sells 945 I know they are very old components but I love this pc. I know that I will not be able to play current games. The most I would try to play is League of Legends with a bit more FPS, with my athlon I run at 45fps. Will I need to update bios? How do I need the b97?

DSzymborski

Titan
Hello, my processor is currently an Athlon 64 x2 5000+. And the b97 caught my attention because nobody in my city sells 945 I know they are very old components but I love this pc. I know that I will not be able to play current games. The most I would try to play is League of Legends with a bit more FPS, with my athlon I run at 45fps. Will I need to update bios? How do I need the b97?

It's a gamble. There's no guarantee it will work as it's not officially supported. I think it will probably work, but that's not a certainty.

I'd search for information on how to update the BIOS in your native language. The risks of a failed BIOS update are great enough that I don't want to describe the process and have Google Translate figure it out.

Jun 9, 2019
It's a gamble. There's no guarantee it will work as it's not officially supported. I think it will probably work, but that's not a certainty.

I'd search for information on how to update the BIOS in your native language. The risks of a failed BIOS update are great enough that I don't want to describe the process and have Google Translate figure it out.

Thank you very much for your help, I think I'm not going to buy it, I guess I'll have to wait to have more money and buy the 945 ♥