jayjr8018

Distinguished
May 21, 2007
Is the Intel Core 2 Duo EXTREME X6800 2.93GHz w/ 4MB L2 Cache - 1066MHz FSB worth the money for a notebook? Or is the Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66GHz w/ 4MB L2 Cache - 1066MHz FSB almost just as good? Or what is the difference other then the .27GHz?

Valdis

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
are you thinking of putting them into your notebook? if yes, then heres the bad news: you cant do it. they are desktop cpus , and you need a mobile cpu

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Is the Intel Core 2 Duo EXTREME X6800 2.93GHz w/ 4MB L2 Cache - 1066MHz FSB worth the money for a notebook? Or is the Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66GHz w/ 4MB L2 Cache - 1066MHz FSB almost just as good? Or what is the difference other then the .27GHz?
Super high-end CPUs are never worth their price, especially because they are going to be used mainly by professionals, who know how to tweak hardware and get more performance out of less money. In this case, the really sweet Core2 is the E6600;
-It's only $220
-Has good stock performance
-Can be easily and safely overclocked to XE6800 levels or even more
so what do you expect more, with the difference of almost $800, you can still get yourself a decent laptop, a cool monitor system or whatever you want, still having the performance of the XE6800.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I was going to buy a notebook from this site, HERE, and that processor is available. Why are you guys saying its not?
If it's available, then it's the mobile version. However, I'd not go that high in a laptop; lower clocked CPUs still offer plenty of power while saving you a lot more battery life.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
It's not available in a laptop from the major manufacturers... the chip physically won't fit in a normal laptop motherboard... and I imagine companies like Dell/HP have not utilized it in a laptop because of the CPU's thermal output.

Anyone can build a system around that CPU, put a handle on the case and call it a laptop.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Never heard of that website. Have you made sure it's a safe site to go through?

We question what's being said because Core2 chips that are being advertised are for socket LGA775 and laptop chips use a special socket to work. Additionally, checking the site, it offers laptop memory modules. This is telling me that if it were to work it would require a specially made motherboard that supports LGA775, Core2 desktop chips, and the special SODIMM modules laptops require. If someone could find ANYONE who makes this, I would be surprised.

jayjr8018

Distinguished
May 21, 2007
Never heard of that website. Have you made sure it's a safe site to go through?

We question what's being said because Core2 chips that are being advertised are for socket LGA775 and laptop chips use a special socket to work. Additionally, checking the site, it offers laptop memory modules. This is telling me that if it were to work it would require a specially made motherboard that supports LGA775, Core2 desktop chips, and the special SODIMM modules laptops require. If someone could find ANYONE who makes this, I would be surprised.

Darious. . I found this on the notebook forums on this site. http://forumz.tomshardware.com/mobile/XoticPc-ftopict48450.html It gives some insight of who XoticPC is..

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
i would not get it for a laptop, you want to decide what you want the laptop for? youd get a medium spec laptop and medium spec PC for the price of a high end high battery consumption laptop and have the best of both scenarios

samael

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
well i need one for college.. and im usually always on the go and what not

Hy, what I really don't understand is why do you want so much that exotic solution??? I'm pretty sure that al those components, which are not optimize to work in a laptop environment will make you're laptop a very hot and noisy machine ... do you really need all that power??? I own a Dell XPS laptop witch has a Merom working at 2 GHz (T7200), it has the same amount of L2 cache as the high-end desktop versions (4Mb), 2 GB Ram at 667 MHz and a GeForce Go 7900 GS (witch I keep overclocked Core 375Mhz -> 485Mhz and Memory 500 MHz DDR (1000) -> 600Mhz DDR (1200)) and it's faster than my development machine from work (I'm a .Net developer).

So my advice, don't spent you're money on such exotic solutions(you can have allot of problems if some component needs to be changed, and in general when you buy a laptop I advise buying from a company with has proper support(I would recommend Dell or Hp) because it can become very frustrating if a component needs changing - it's not like on desktops where you just go to the nearest IT shop and do it yourself. I assure you that a medium-high end laptop has more than enough power for you're needs. I'm working with CPU and memory intensive application, Visual Studio .Net 2005, Sql Server 2005 etc, and they are all running great on my machine.

If you want a high-end laptops I would suggest Dell XPS M1710, the top end model supports overclocking up to 3 GHz and has more than enough power for most of the applications out there.

Link

And all the component are top-notch quality (I even has a subwoofer :lol: ).

However I would only recommend this one for high-end machines and if you plan on gaming with it, because if not, you can chose a similar high end solution but with an integrated video card ... it will double you're battery and it’s much cooler and quieter.

Finally if you really feel that you need something very powerful buy a powerful desktop and a cheap laptop for mobility.

I would recomend reading this before taking a decision.

Link

And also this one...

Link

Hope that helped and I must repeat that I really advice against buying that exotic solution :D

jayjr8018

Distinguished
May 21, 2007
so, i talked to a XoticPC web support representitive and this was our convo. the XoticPC rep is Justin and Joseph is me..

Question: In the XOTIC / SAGER NP9260 notebook, you guys offer desktop processors in that notebook. such as the E6700 and the X6800. my question is what motherboard are you guys using, if the desktop processors use totally different motherboards?

Justin: Thank you for contacting XOTIC PC Live Chat. How may I help you today?
Joseph Barile: Hey
Justin: It is using a Intel Chipset board
Justin: It is a similar board as other laptops, just more robust
Joseph Barile: it is SLi right?
Justin: yes
Joseph Barile: is there anyway you could give me the exact name of the chipset?
Justin: Chipset: Intel® P965 Express Chipset + ICH8R
Joseph Barile: Do you think those desktop chisets would cause too much heat?
Justin: The system has a very good cooling system and will be able to handle the heat from the processor
Joseph Barile: okay thanks
Joseph Barile: thats all i was wanting to know
Justin: no problem
Justin: thanks for coming by =)
Joseph Barile: no problem

Im not really sure what chipset that is, but if anyone could let me know if it would work or not.

dj_taboo

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
I didn't think it was possible...aparently it is.
That laptop is based from this company Sager Notebook
$2600 for a laptop? Pricey. Looks like you can configure it for SLI. I thought the P965 didn't support SLi?
Huh... still skeptical. :?

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
OK, now that we've established that it does exist I will answer your question: No. Not only is it waaaaay too expensive, it also runs very hot and generates a crapload of heat, all while sucking power like a vacuum cleaner. It is intended for desktops. In my opinion, you would be far better off choosing a mobile CPU with more RAM instead of a Conroe. I doubt you'd get more than an hour or two of battery life with that setup.

Mondoman

Splendid
There is a long history of niche manufacturers taking desktop CPUs, chipsets, etc, and squeezing them into a laptop case to make a "high-performance" laptop. Of course, the desktop CPU and chipset don't have all the power-saving features of CPUs and chipsets designed for mobile use, so the laptops tend to have *very* short battery use times and tend to get *very* hot or have *very* loud cooling fans.
That said, Sager has been around for many years. I would certainly want to try one out in person, to see if I could live with the heat/noise issues, before buying one. I would also want to be sure the components were covered by warranty for as long as I planned on using the laptop, since the increased heat in such a system is likely to lead to earlier component failures compared with a mainline laptop.

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
well i need one for college.. and im usually always on the go and what not
ahhh ok, well consider a decent desktop and a cheap laptop unless you'll have no time to use the deshtop? Laptops are notoriously hard to upgrade anything on( although that PCI-Express extension that allows full blown desktop GPU's to be connected is very very interesting )

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I wouldn't buy from this retailer lol and i wouldn't buy this laptop with a Core Extreme cpu and with a 7950GTX ( SLI Optional ??) I wonder how long the battery will last. On intel website i don't see any Core 2 Duo X series into laptop product. The best cpu for laptop is the T7700 (http://www.intel.com/products/processor/core2duo/specifications.htm) Maybe its possible but the laptop must be big or something is wrong on their website.

ldiamond

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
This is just a desktop motherboard that is made to fit inside a laptop.

Yes the processor will generate more heat, require more juice, your battery life will be very bad, your laptop will run hot, you'll have to clean it up often to prevent it from frying.

You still wont get the same performances as a desktop, you'll have much less features, but if you dont need battery life, a think&light notebook, and if you need power and you're willing to clean it and make sure it doesnt overheat, then it can be a good choice.

Its all about what you really need.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
apparently they do make them for a notebook though.

Thats because what your looking at is not really a laptop. Its called that, for marketing, but it actually falls into the proper catagory of "portable" PC.

Trust me, when you decide to lug that monster around, your going to find out just how 'portable' it really is compared to a true laptop. And I wouldnt plan on more than 50 minutes of battery time depending on which GPU you go with. Unless you plan on lugging a car battery with you.