[SOLVED] Is this PSU compatible with this motherboard?

Jan 7, 2020
My friend currently has a have a Rampage V Extreme Motherboard, and he's looking to upgrade to a Corsair HX1200i Platinum 80+ PSU. The Motherboard is Extended ATX form factor.

Cheers for any input

Specs:

I7-5960X oc to 5ghz
Rampage V Extreme Motherboard
32GB Ram (unsure what speed etc)
GTX 980 TI OC (Soon upgrading to a RTX 2070 Super 8GB)
Mutliple Hard drives/SSD's

Last edited:
Solution
That error is mostly caused by lack of voltage to the cpu. That can come about in any number of ways, including but not limited to the psu. It can easily be a lack of stable OC, bad bios settings, vcore/vid discrepancy, overheating VRM's, failing VRM's, OC too demanding without sufficient EPS power, LLC set too high etc.

You are looking at a 3.0GHz base cpu with a 3.5GHz max turbo pushed to 5.0GHz on all cores. That's a 1.5GHz - 1.8GHz OC on all cores and I'd suggest that bios settings, vid, vcore and LLC could stand to be scrutinized before committing to overspending on a unneeded psu. A good 1000w psu is plenty big enough.
Jan 7, 2020
Should have full system specs listed for a proper recommendation. Actual need for a PSU that powerful are very limited.

Specs are in the original post now.
He's already got a 1000 Watt power supply which is now starting to fail (crashing during games etc), so he's going to upgrade to a 1200 watt one since he's going with an RTX 2070 super which will draw 650 Watts at max, and his CPU will draw 140 Watts, so that's already nearly 800 watts excluding OC. But my question is, is the Corsair 1200 watt PSU compatible? He won't get anything under 1200 watts. He also keeps his PC on 24/7 as well, don't ask me why.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Specs are in the original post now.
He's already got a 1000 Watt power supply which is now starting to fail (crashing during games etc), so he's going to upgrade to a 1200 watt one which I've listed, but my question is, is it compatible?
Yes, but likely overkill for the specs described. A quality 750-850w PSU should be more than enough for that rig, even allowing for future GPU upgrades.

An rtx 2070s will most certainly not pull anywhere near 650w. Overclocked it MIGHT pull 300w, maybe. That cpu oc at 5ghz will probably pull about the same.

So as suggested above a good 750 or 850 will be all that's necessary. Even if a 2080ti was added, that would still be all that would be required.

Before just replacing the psu, I'd make sure that's actually the reason for the crashing. It would be a total bummer to have the same issues on a new psu because you jumped to conclusions.

That being said the hxi line are great supplies. I have the hx750i and although it was a bit pricey I like it. Quiet, cool and more than I'll need!

Getting a 1200w for that system is more than overkill. It will be nowhere near its efficiency range.

Jan 7, 2020
An rtx 2070s will most certainly not pull anywhere near 650w. Overclocked it MIGHT pull 300w, maybe. That cpu oc at 5ghz will probably pull about the same.

So as suggested above a good 750 or 850 will be all that's necessary. Even if a 2080ti was added, that would still be all that would be required.

Before just replacing the psu, I'd make sure that's actually the reason for the crashing. It would be a total bummer to have the same issues on a new psu because you jumped to conclusions.

That being said the hxi line are great supplies. I have the hx750i and although it was a bit pricey I like it. Quiet, cool and more than I'll need!

Getting a 1200w for that system is more than overkill. It will be nowhere near its efficiency range.

I'm almost certain it's the PSU, as his old one is always on 24/7. I went into Windows Event Viewer and it came up with the error "Kernal Power: Critical - Event ID 41 - (63). This is usually associated with the PSU or Ram, but they tested the RAM and it's completely fine. I had the exact same issue and error message and when I replaced my faulty PSU, it fixed the problem entirely.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That error is mostly caused by lack of voltage to the cpu. That can come about in any number of ways, including but not limited to the psu. It can easily be a lack of stable OC, bad bios settings, vcore/vid discrepancy, overheating VRM's, failing VRM's, OC too demanding without sufficient EPS power, LLC set too high etc.

You are looking at a 3.0GHz base cpu with a 3.5GHz max turbo pushed to 5.0GHz on all cores. That's a 1.5GHz - 1.8GHz OC on all cores and I'd suggest that bios settings, vid, vcore and LLC could stand to be scrutinized before committing to overspending on a unneeded psu. A good 1000w psu is plenty big enough.

Reactions: xrafael95x
Solution
Jan 7, 2020

They've had the CPU over locked to 5ghz for many years comfortably, this problem has only been happening for the past 6 months or so. He's under locked the GPU and reduced the OC on the CPU to 3.48ghz and crashes still happen during intensive games, so my best bet it's the PSU being faulty as it has been been left on 24/7 for many years, but I will try to look at BIOS settings, and test other things you have mentioned. Thanks for the info