Question Is this PSU enough for my build?

May 15, 2019
Hi, I am looking to buy the new PSU for my build.

Build Info:
CPU: i5 - 4th GEN
Memory: DDR3 - 8GB
SSD: 1x 240GB (Adata)
HDD: 1x 1TB (WD)
GPU: Zotac RTX 2060

(Not any planning to overclocking and upgrading the CPU currently).
(Looking to buy PSU) : cooler master MWE gold 650. Currently, I found the best option, any other recommendation would be appreciated.

Q: Is the PSU enough for my build?
Q: Is the PSU enough for long lasting?

Last edited:

tylerd120

Prominent
Mar 25, 2018
Yes and yes. High power output, good brand name solid specs. That psu is well more than enough. Much like your gpu. seriously, a 2060 with 8gb ram? you could certainly save yourself some money and take an older gpu. 2060 is probabl going to severely bottleneck that i5 with 8gb. Consider a 1060 or 1660 instead, if it's not too late.

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Excuse me? that 2060 is good with the i5.
I have an i5-4690k with 2060 rtx and it works perfectly.
Probably the RAM will be way slower because it is not enough for gaming so yeah.

Well in term's of power supply a lot of people said its good quality unit, but if you have the money why not just buy a supernova g2 or seasonic focus gold? would last with you for at least 5 years ahead with good use.

May 15, 2019
Yes and yes. High power output, good brand name solid specs. That psu is well more than enough. Much like your gpu. seriously, a 2060 with 8gb ram? you could certainly save yourself some money and take an older gpu. 2060 is probabl going to severely bottleneck that i5 with 8gb. Consider a 1060 or 1660 instead, if it's not too late.

Already bought the GPU :/ will upgrade the memory soon. Thanks

Excuse me? that 2060 is good with the i5.
I have an i5-4690k with 2060 rtx and it works perfectly.
Probably the RAM will be way slower because it is not enough for gaming so yeah.

Well in term's of power supply a lot of people said its good quality unit, but if you have the money why not just buy a supernova g2 or seasonic focus gold? would last with you for at least 5 years ahead with good use.

YEAH, :/ 2060 with i5 with 8GB memory :-(

seasonic is not available in my region, Supernova has a high price and will be available in used terms. I think the best option is to buy Coolermaster (new)

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Well then you are good to go, its a good quality power supply will last for a few years hopefully with good use, but as i mentioned you should consider selling the 8gb ram you have right now and buy a kit of 2 2x8 3000mhz or 3200 will be much better for gaming.

May 15, 2019
Well then you are good to go, its a good quality power supply will last for a few years hopefully with good use, but as i mentioned you should consider selling the 8gb ram you have right now and buy a kit of 2 2x8 3000mhz or 3200 will be much better for gaming.

Will definitely consider the memory upgrade. Thank you very much.

Javi7707

Commendable
Feb 20, 2017
Hi, I am looking to buy the new PSU for my build.

Build Info:
CPU: i5 - 4th GEN
Memory: DDR3 - 8GB
SSD: 1x 240GB (Adata)
HDD: 1x 1TB (WD)
GPU: Zotac RTX 2060

(Not any planning to overclocking and upgrading the CPU currently).
(Looking to buy PSU) : cooler master MWE gold 650. Currently, I found the best option, any other recommendation would be appreciated.

Q: Is the PSU enough for my build?
Q: Is the PSU enough for long lasting?
First I will tell that in my experience with PSUs, spending more money does not mean that it will last long, got an Intel 420w power supply working more than 12 years and stills running as the first day, and also I have seen 70$ PSUs crashing in a couple of months, so let's say it is about luck, and buying a 200$ PSU does not mean that it will last longer than a 50$ one. One thing you can do is buy a PSU that comes with warranty for a couple of years, so the company will replace it for you if it goes down.

Also they told you to change the ram, let me say that 3000mhz DDR3 is very expensive and it is not the same as DDR4 at 3000mhz, and also there is no need on expending more money on higher clock Rams, you won't even see the difference and it will only give you a couple of more fps at the cost of much money and work to configure them.

And about the bottleneck I got a 6600k and a 1070 and the 1070 got bottlenecked, very sightly but in some cpu intensive game it could be seen clearly.

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Well goodluck buying a 50$ power supply like CX one or VS one and when the OP's blow his computer up and come back posting this, you will be responsible for giving him such advice.
Buying a tier 1 power supply will guarantee that this power supply will work for at least 4 or 5 years, i have had 2 CX series power supplies that blew up and took my graphic card with them.
I have had this supernova for 3 an half years now and its been going strong.

May 15, 2019
First I will tell that in my experience with PSUs, spending more money does not mean that it will last long, got an Intel 420w power supply working more than 12 years and stills running as the first day, and also I have seen 70$ PSUs crashing in a couple of months, so let's say it is about luck, and buying a 200$ PSU does not mean that it will last longer than a 50$ one. One thing you can do is buy a PSU that comes with warranty for a couple of years, so the company will replace it for you if it goes down.

Also they told you to change the ram, let me say that 3000mhz DDR3 is very expensive and it is not the same as DDR4 at 3000mhz, and also there is no need on expending more money on higher clock Rams, you won't even see the difference and it will only give you a couple of more fps at the cost of much money and work to configure them.

And about the bottleneck I got a 6600k and a 1070 and the 1070 got bottlenecked, very sightly but in some cpu intensive game it could be seen clearly.

Thank you, your experience will be helpful for me. I have CX 430w power supply right now. it randomly halted and then crashed my system (various exceptions occurs) after installing the NEW GPU. As per my assumptions, it will be the PSU issue otherwise OLD PSU is still working fine with OLD AMD (R7 260x) GPU.

Well goodluck buying a 50$ power supply like CX one or VS one and when the OP's blow his computer up and come back posting this, you will be responsible for giving him such advice.
Buying a tier 1 power supply will guarantee that this power supply will work for at least 4 or 5 years, i have had 2 CX series power supplies that blew up and took my graphic card with them.
I have had this supernova for 3 an half years now and its been going strong.

I agree with you, low-end PSU will blow up as I am facing the CRASHING problem right now, that is why I am looking for SOLID PSU for the longer run. If in case I upgrade my PC in future my new PSU will easily handle the new build instead I spend again more money on it.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The Cooler Master MWE Gold is a perfectly adequate PSU. Not amazing or in the top tiers, but adequate as long as you're not paying near as much as the better PSUs.

As a general policy, Cooler Master isn't a brand that's earned much in the way of trust when it comes to PSUs. Other components, yes, but they've sold a lot of real shoddy PSUs over the years. It's only been a few of their lines that have been more recommendable, such as the SeaSonic-made V series. Now, again, this one is adequate, but someone coming across this web might see the blanked recommendated for Cooler Master as a trusted brand for PSUs, which is just not the case.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

Javi7707

Commendable
Feb 20, 2017
Thank you, your experience will be helpful for me. I have CX 430w power supply right now. it randomly halted and then crashed my system (various exceptions occurs) after installing the NEW GPU. As per my assumptions, it will be the PSU issue otherwise OLD PSU is still working fine with OLD AMD (R7 260x) GPU.

I agree with you, low-end PSU will blow up as I am facing the CRASHING problem right now, that is why I am looking for SOLID PSU for the longer run. If in case I upgrade my PC in future my new PSU will easily handle the new build instead I spend again more money on it.
Low end PSUs are designed for low power PC's, your build eats more than what that PSU can offer, so that is why it crash, most new PSUs when they detect they are giving more power than the one they are suppose to give they automatically shut down for safety, so buy a 550w one or 650w one and you will see that the problem is gone even if it is low or high end.