Is this PSU enough?

white_weapon

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
Hello there. I recently aquired the following parts, but I wonder if i made the correct choice on the PSU. The PSU is a Corsair RM650. The parts are as follows:

i7-4790K
MSI GTX 780 3Gb
MSI z97 Gaming 7 Mobo
Corsair Vengeance 2x8Gb RAM
Corsair H100i cooling system
a 2Tb 7200RPM HD
and a 256Gb SSD

Any comments?
Cheers!

Solution
650w is enough for your system. Personally I am not a fan of the Corsair RM series, they use cheap Capxon secondary capacitors that are not reliable and their fan starts up after some % load (can't remember the exact load, don't want to make it up) meaning that the psu gets nice and hot before the fans kick in (bad considering that the cheap caps they used don't deal with heat well).

For around the same price (but better quality) I would get one of these:

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
- Make sure to get the EVGA Supernova G2, there are similarly names models (G1, NEX) but are not as good.
Power Supply: XFX XTR 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular...

numanator

Honorable
650w is enough for your system. Personally I am not a fan of the Corsair RM series, they use cheap Capxon secondary capacitors that are not reliable and their fan starts up after some % load (can't remember the exact load, don't want to make it up) meaning that the psu gets nice and hot before the fans kick in (bad considering that the cheap caps they used don't deal with heat well).

For around the same price (but better quality) I would get one of these:

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
- Make sure to get the EVGA Supernova G2, there are similarly names models (G1, NEX) but are not as good.
Power Supply: XFX XTR 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ NCIX US)

XFX uses Seasonic as its OEM and make really good quality PSUs.

Solution

white_weapon

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
Thanks to the two of you. Unfortunately (?) I already bought it, so I guess I'm stuck with it even with the other PSU suggestions. I may change it, but although it uses "cheap Capxon secondaty capacitors" as you put it I assume it's not an overall crappy PSU... elseways my research went way worse than I thought.

numanator

Honorable
Yeah, it won't explode or anything like that, just not the best quality components you could get at that price. Probably not worth returning and shouldn't have any problems. Plus it comes with a 5 yr warranty so don't worry too much about it.

Pony32

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014

well if your whole computer has 5 yr warranty it's fine. Your PSU can fry the whole system. But in this case, no, you will be just fine.

white_weapon

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014

Is a PSU "frying the whole system" that big of a threat with modern PSUs? Once again, I see it could use better capacitors, but frying everything up sounds a little extremist.

Pony32

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014

It can happen. But ye.. deffenetly not with a gold certified 650W PSU. You are completely safe with this PSU.

numanator

Honorable
Frying the whole PC is something that happens with extremely bad power supplies that do not meet various standards ($10 for a 700w semi modular, what could go wrong!). It is not something you have to worry about with your PSU.

Pony32

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014

Agreed.