Question Is this psu good enough?

Jun 11, 2019
Hi recently i bought a gtx 1060 6gb and my psu failed on me it has a burning smel and restarts when i play a game for 5min i was searching for a new psu thats cheap but im not a expert is this one good enough for my setup? Cooler Master MWE Bronze 650 PSU

Okay I will put this simple: DO NOT cheap out on the PSU it is considered the most important part of your system cheap ones can pop at anytime and CAN in some cases damage your entire system Look at Corsair (Don't get a Corsair CXM) Seasonic and EVGA PSU's

Cooler Master MWE Bronze 650 PSU

That's an okay-ish average PSU, but not the very best. It will work on your PC, but I would recommend you to get the following PSU models and brands. These are high quality units. Look for similar SKUs.

SEASONIC PRIME, and Prime Ultra, or FOCUS Plus GOLD, Focus Plus Platinum.

CORSAIR AXi, RMi, RMx 550/650W, SF, HX 2017, HXi.

FSP - Hydro PTM 550/650W.

Cooler Master - MasterWatt Maker MiJ, V series 550/650W.

Antec - High Current Pro, High Current Platinum, Earthwatts Pro Gold, HCG Gold.

Super Flower - Leadex Gold II.

be Quiet! - Dark Power Pro 11, Straight Power 11, Dark Power Pro P10.

EVGA -Supernova G1+, GQ, P2, T2, G2, B2, BQ =>750.

Last edited:

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
PSUs mentioned by Metal Messiah are very good choices and I agree that CM MasterWatt is a mediocre one.

I'd also suggest you DO NOT turn the system ON with a faulty PSU that smells and shuts down after 5 minutes of gaming. Wait for the new PSU to arrive if you don't want to blow your other components, mainly the motherboard and the VGA are more vulnerable.

Jun 11, 2019
That's an okay-ish average PSU, but not the very best. It will work on your PC, but I would recommend you to get the following PSU models and brands. These are high quality units. Look for similar SKUs.

SEASONIC PRIME, and Prime Ultra, or FOCUS Plus GOLD, Focus Plus Platinum.

CORSAIR AXi, RMi, RMx 550/650W, SF, HX 2017, HXi.

FSP - Hydro PTM 550/650W.

Cooler Master - MasterWatt Maker MiJ, V series 550/650W.

Antec - High Current Pro, High Current Platinum, Earthwatts Pro Gold, HCG Gold.

Super Flower - Leadex Gold II.

be Quiet! - Dark Power Pro 11, Straight Power 11, Dark Power Pro P10.

EVGA -Supernova G1+, GQ, P2, T2, G2, B2, BQ =>750.
I would love to buy one of these but they are waaaay to expensive i cant give more then 60-70 euro

Jun 11, 2019
PSUs mentioned by Metal Messiah are very good choices and I agree that CM MasterWatt is a mediocre one.

I'd also suggest you DO NOT turn the system ON with a faulty PSU that smells and shuts down after 5 minutes of gaming. Wait for the new PSU to arrive if you don't want to blow your other components, mainly the motherboard and the VGA are more vulnerable.
I searched around the internet and this is the most expenisve and best i can find and its 80plus gold rated its the Corsair TX-M Series TX650M V2

And a other dude told me the psu wasnt the problem of my psu getting super hot and letting my pc restarts itself he said that my cpu is too weak so it needs to work more to compare with my strong gpu and thats what makes my vrm hot and restart my pc is this true?

I searched around the internet and this is the most expenisve and best i can find and its 80plus gold rated its the Corsair TX-M Series TX650M V2

Okay wait. I'm sorry for that list, because I know they are all high-end Models, and can be expensive as well. Just gave some recommendation for the PSU. So how much is your Budget for the PSU, 70 USD max ? That TX650M V2 is a very good high-quality PSU. Can you afford it ?

If not, then you need to look for some other model. Do you live in the Europe or some other country ?

Last edited:
Reactions: HASANL

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador

And a other dude told me the psu wasnt the problem of my psu getting super hot and letting my pc restarts itself he said that my cpu is too weak so it needs to work more to compare with my strong gpu and thats what makes my vrm hot and restart my pc is this true?

We obviously don't have physical access to your computer and components. You said "my psu failed on me it has a burning smel and restarts when i play a game for 5min". From that we assume that you're sure that the smell is coming from the PSU. That is the description of a PSU on the verge of total failure and a failing PSU that smells is a really dangerous thing, it's an actual fire hazard, if indeed the PSU is the source of the burnt smell.

Yes overheating, especially CPU and VRM, can cause thermal throttling and shut down a few minutes into a heavy load and if the issue is overheating in CPU or VRM that's a totally different issue.

The FX series are kind of power hungry and TDP for the FX 8350 is 125W and without proper thermal paste, cooling, and general case ventilation the VRM getting hot is not surprising, especially this time of year if you live where ambient temperatures are relatively higher too.

I also mentioned that the PSUs Metal Messiah mentioned are good choices. That TX650M V2 you mentioned is a good choice too.

Jun 11, 2019
Okay wait. I'm sorry for that list, because I know they are all high-end Models, and can be expensive as well. Just gave some recommendation for the PSU. So how much is your Budget for the PSU, 70 USD max ? That TX650M V2 is a very good high-quality PSU. Can you afford it ?

If not, then you need to look for some other model. Do you live in the Europe or some other country ?
I live in the netherlands (eu) and i need to find a job to afford it but im sure im gonna buy it and if that aint gonna help me im just gonna give up on this hobby and try to find something les stressful