Question Is this psu good enough?

matua2

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
is a 850w MS-tech MS-N850-VAL enough for a i7 3770k and a RX 560?
it says 350w on the 12v rail but in total it should be 850w

Edit: on the psu itself it shows 2 12v rails each for 324w its a dual 12v rail

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
I've never heard of that brand before. Also, on a quality unit, the wattage on thr 12v rail(s) is >95%, whereas in this case it's less than 80%. Also, don't rely on wattage and efficiency, they have nothing to do with the reliability of the unit.
850w is overkill. You should be fine with 450w or more, but for future upgrades you should target 500-550w or more.
For a tight budget consider Corsair CX (grey, not green) or something similar. Generally warranty (>5 years) is somewhat an indicator for good units.
If you can bump up the budget, get something like a Seasonic Focus+ or Corsair RM. Yoy get full modularity and about 10 years warranty.

Last edited:

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi Matua2,

I'd have to say no. While I have never personally used the German brand MS-Tech before, I did a quick google of the PSU and the results were not favorable. One site even went so far as to state, & I quote:

• Does not deliver 850W
  • Bad quality
  • Dangerous
  • Expensive purchase
That being said, always take a review with a grain of salt as he/she may have just received a faulty unit. Perhaps a German friend of ours here can shed some light.

Whats your location & budget? Since you listed the above unit, I'd assume you are in Germany?

Thoughts anyone on this particular unit?

matua2

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
Hi Matua2,

I'd have to say no. While I have never personally used the German brand MS-Tech before, I did a quick google of the PSU and the results were not favorable. One site even went so far as to state, & I quote:

• Does not deliver 850W
  • Bad quality
  • Dangerous
  • Expensive purchase
That being said, always take a review with a grain of salt as he/she may have just received a faulty unit. Perhaps a German friend of ours here can shed some light.

Whats your location & budget? Since you listed the above unit, I'd assume you are in Germany?

Thoughts anyone on this particular unit?
i have a thermaltake psu myself my friend wants a power supply and i want to give him my old one which is tje ms-tech one

Joakim Agren

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
Well I can tell you this a Danish retailer Proshop had so many customer returns with this unit they stopped selling it. So I would advise anyone from using this unit for a new computer build. Just stay away from it and get a good quality power supply. The power supply is the most important unit in a system since a bad one can do so much damage. Never skimp on a good power supply!:eek:

Considering the output ratings on the 12v rail, this psu is not nearly 850w. It should be enough to handle an RX560 since they do not require much power, but the quality is sketchy at best.

In addition to that PSU is nowhere close to the rated 850w, MStech is not a well-known brand for building quality power supplies.

I would not use that PSU personally.

Last edited:

matua2

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
Considering the output ratings on the 12v rail, this psu is not nearly 850w. It should be enough to handle an RX560 since they do not require much power, but the quality is sketchy at best.

In addition to that PSU is nowhere close to the rated 850w, MStech is not a well-known brand for building quality power supplies.

I would not use that PSU personally.
it has 2 12v rails each 324 so wouldn't it be around 650?

DSzymborski

Titan
it has 2 12v rails each 324 so wouldn't it be around 650?

You don't get perfect scaling here, but they didn't bother to print a combined rating (probably because they figured nobody who bought this PSU would care about that). The problem, of course, is that a modern PSU should be near it's total rated output on the +12V rail, not 200W short. It's a sub-mediocre PSU of ancient design and while it has enough power for your friend's system, I wouldn't want to use it as safety equipment.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Throw that MS-Tech psu shaped object away. It's so much safer that way, you won't be tempted to give it away and ruining a friendship when it blows up. And it will.

You used an 850w (hah, really?) psu on a 77w cpu, 50w worth of components and a 70w gpu. Your average gaming day used @ 150-175w. A true, quality 850w psu would be choking just trying to go that low in output.

Just an fyi, my 7 yr old Seasonic M12-II 520w has 40A on the 12v rail, that's 480w. And still purrs like day 1. You are talking about a psu shaped object rated at 850w, with 12v @ 600w combined. That's a 250w discrepancy.

Throw it away before temptation gets the better of you.

Reactions: Joakim Agren

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
The problem is that you can't rely on user reviews (like: it works, I runs x config woth no issues). A power supply a complex unit that can be evaluated only with special equipment and by people with proper knowledge. That's why you often find people recommending the same units over and over again.
That being said:
  • 200w discrepancy between the rated and 12v wattage.
  • no 80+ rating
  • unpopular brand
  • a lot of bad reviews
  • many options from reliable manufacturers that won't break the bank.
Why sticking with an old, (possibly) campfire starter when you have decent system that must have cost you some money?

Reactions: NightHawkRMX