Question Is this PSU good for a simple built?

joser0913

Prominent
Nov 10, 2019
I'm building a new PC for my aunt. Something pretty basic:
ATHLON 200GE
ASROCK A320M-HDV R4.0
TEAMGROUP ELITE+ 8 GB DDR4 2666
TEAMGROUP GX1 120 GB

Would this redragon PSU be ok?
http://extremetechcr.com/tienda/componentes/2795-redragon-500w-80-plus-bronze.html
I know the quality might not be good but maybe it's ok for this particular system. She was planning to fix an old piece of junk so I recommended something a bit niecer but still very cheap

That is a pretty good system for basic usage. I don't know much about RedDragon PSUs, but your entire system will draw under 50w most of the time, so you are good with that PSU.

I would consider a larger 240gb SSD. Programs like MS office can eat up 120gb fast.

I'm building a new PC for my aunt. Something pretty basic:
ATHLON 200GE
ASROCK A320M-HDV R4.0
TEAMGROUP ELITE+ 8 GB DDR4 2666
TEAMGROUP GX1 120 GB

Would this redragon PSU be ok?
http://extremetechcr.com/tienda/componentes/2795-redragon-500w-80-plus-bronze.html
I know the quality might not be good but maybe it's ok for this particular system. She was planning to fix an old piece of junk so I recommended something a bit niecer but still very cheap

It's an old school PSU (from around 2012), made by "Helly" (aka 1st Player). Double forward with group regulation (only 408W on the +12V rail), BUT... it's not a bomb.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

joser0913

Prominent
Nov 10, 2019
I wouldn't put any trust in that PSU, even under a light load. It's an old design and the 12v rail is only 28a(336w) so not even close to a 500w PSU by modern standards. A CX450 would be a much better option.
I'd go for something better but I'm not from USA so buying on Amazon involves taxes and other fees that elevate the cost quite a bit.
In my local store there're not good options so my goal here is to get an unit that works. I could go for an EVGA 600W but I need to keep the cost as low as posible (this is the link to my local store: http://extremetechcr.com/tienda/24-fuentes-de-poder). Almost, all the cheap ones are close to garbage for a gaming system, as far as I have read. But I have to pick one. Just for you to know, I own a Thermaltake TR2 600W that I'm not using atm that has been working fine for 3 years. I could go with that but I think is prety bad as well

Last edited:

bignastyid

Titan
Even the gray VS450 would be better if you can locate one. And yes that TR2 is a horrible PSU and a known system killer.
The 600w EVGA for as bad as it is would be better than the red dragon, however the VS650(updated gray model) isn't much more and is a bit better than the EVGA. A cheap PSU can end up being very expensive.

Given what jon said, the Reddragon is fine for your setup, and maybe even a low end GPU like a GT1030. Its not ideal as It was already a bit dated in design back in 2012, but its fine for your setup.

According to google, one boiled potato can deliver 8w sustained for 40 days. Given the 200ge draws near 35w, 5 boiled potatos could power a 200ge for over a month.

Reactions: joser0913

joser0913

Prominent
Nov 10, 2019
Given what jon said, the Reddragon is fine for your setup, and maybe even a low end GPU like a GT1030. Its not ideal as It was already a bit dated in design back in 2012, but its fine for your setup.

According to google, one boiled potato can deliver 8w sustained for 40 days. Given the 200ge draws near 35w, 5 boiled potatos could power a 200ge for over a month.
Yea, as John said, it's not a bomb xD. I think I'll better wait for new stock.

What do you guys think about System Power U9 500W from BeQuiet? I think I could get one of those if I wait