Hello, I need help with PSU.

CPU: R7 3700X
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
RAM: Patriot Viper 4 BO Series 16GB DDR4 3600MHz CL17
HDD: Seagate ST2000DM008-2FR102
SSD: ADATA SU800
PSU: FSP Fortron Hexa 85+ 650

As you can see, my current PSU is super trash and it's also causing input lag for me and I need some good PSU. I considered Corsair RM650x (2018) or Fractal Design ION+ 660P. I don't want to go too cheap on it. My question is.. are both PSUs ok for my PC? I mean, will I get enough cabling and stuff? Sorry, I know almost nothing about PSUs :C

Also forgot to mention that I want to upgrade to RTX 2060 SUPER VENTUS in the future.

Thanks in advance. :D

Hello, I need help with PSU.

CPU: R7 3700X
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
RAM: Patriot Viper 4 BO Series 16GB DDR4 3600MHz CL17
HDD: Seagate ST2000DM008-2FR102
SSD: ADATA SU800
PSU: FSP Fortron Hexa 85+ 650

As you can see, my current PSU is super trash and it's also causing input lag for me and I need some good PSU. I considered Corsair RM650x (2018) or Fractal Design ION+ 660P. I don't want to go too cheap on it. My question is.. are both PSUs ok for my PC? I mean, will I get enough cabling and stuff? Sorry, I know almost nothing about PSUs :C

Also forgot to mention that I want to upgrade to RTX 2060 SUPER VENTUS in the future.

Thanks in advance. :D

How do you contribute "input lag" to the PSU?

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
I don't know anything about the Fractal.
Well, be my guest, here are reviews for this unit.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fractal-design-ion-platinum-760w-power-supply-review
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fractal-design-ion-560p-power-supply-review,6279.html
TLDR: It's a decent unit, somewhat 'worse' than Corsair RMx but if it's like 10$ cheaper it would be a perfectly good buy. Probably even if for the same price if you have particularly crampy case as Corsair cables are a bit pain in the ass to work with and Fractal Design cables are apparently very soft and flexible.

Mar 29, 2020
Thank you very much for replies. However I don't want to replace my PSU myself.. The thing I only did with my PC was replace MOBO, CPU and RAM myself but I'm still not comfortable with cable management... :D

Mar 29, 2020
How do you contribute "input lag" to the PSU?
I read on some forums that bad electricity / PSU can cause input lag due to bad grounding or bad PSU. I want to upgrade my graphics card and I can invest in some PSU that is better than my current one.

You can look it up, I'm sure you will find a lot of forums. Btw. Tried really everything software-wise, also top wireless mice such as Razer Viper Ultimate / Logitech G Pro Wireless and many wired top mice.

I'm professional CS player and input lag is killing me really.

I read on some forums that bad electricity / PSU can cause input lag due to bad grounding or bad PSU. I want to upgrade my graphics card and I can invest in some PSU that is better than my current one.

You can look it up, I'm sure you will find a lot of forums. Btw. Tried really everything software-wise, also top wireless mice such as Razer Viper Ultimate / Logitech G Pro Wireless and many wired top mice.

I can look up a lot of things and find the answers that suit my needs.

But it is true that your current PSU is far from the best choice. As a professional CS player, you should know better. ;-)

The RMx is a HUGE improvement. I just hope it solves your problem.

DSzymborski

Titan

It's likely something else is an issue. PSUs don't typically cause problems like this. As for JG, you can look at his signature and see why he's confident in saying the things he does about PSUs. Btw.

Reactions: King_V
Mar 29, 2020
Yeah, but what is causing the problem then? As I said - got new CPU, MOBO and DIMMs but the problem is still there. It could be also SSD/GPU but who knows. Hundreds of people has this problem as I scrolled through different forums and community webpages.

Mar 29, 2020
I can look up a lot of things and find the answers that suit my needs.

But it is true that your current PSU is far from the best choice. As a professional CS player, you should know better. ;-)

The RMx is a HUGE improvement. I just hope it solves your problem.
Yeah, heard only good things about RMx series, altough I wanted RMi at the start. :D

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, but what is causing the problem then? As I said - got new CPU, MOBO and DIMMs but the problem is still there. It could be also SSD/GPU but who knows. Hundreds of people has this problem as I scrolled through different forums and community webpages.
What actually are you calling input lag? What is actually lagging.

Usually in FPS games when people talk about input lag it's when they see that they shot a player and next thing they know their dead. That is usually the connection to the server. You see the player and shot him first but your the one dead because their connection is better and they actually shot you first and before you seen it you shot but to the server you were already dead all the information had just not been relayed to you.

Mar 29, 2020
Mouse feels heavy, floaty, sluggish - not precise at all, not feeling snappy. Happens with every mouse I use.
You can't really help me with this. Browsed more than 50 forums - nothing.
What actually are you calling input lag? What is actually lagging.

Usually in FPS games when people talk about input lag it's when they see that they shot a player and next thing they know their dead. That is usually the connection to the server. You see the player and shot him first but your the one dead because their connection is better and they actually shot you first and before you seen it you shot but to the server you were already dead all the information had just not been relayed to you.
I think you're completely wrong on that one.
Was there a full, fresh Windows install with all these changes?
Yes, multiple times.