[SOLVED] Is this PSU noise serious ?

Jun 10, 2021
It only happens when I close my PC (new build) so I can live with it if its not something alarming.The video was taken before I was determined it was the PSU because I thought It was a case fan or something...the sound is at around 20 sec of the video..
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTm2npxDD48&ab_channel=Healthytabs

PSU is Corsair TX650M Gold
Any clues if it is the fan of the psu based on the screeching noise it makes?Any advise is more than welcomed! Edit :is also the clicking noise after that sound normal?

Solution
Any clues if it is the fan of the psu based on the screeching noise it makes?
My guess is that there is one of the main voltage regulators that is causing that sound. But the sound alone is not helpful in order to determine the true source - it may be in the PSU or it could be on the motherboard.

Edit :is also the clicking noise after that sound normal?
Try to hear if the sounds come from a hard drive or psu. Most likely the hard drive head parking.
Any clues if it is the fan of the psu based on the screeching noise it makes?
My guess is that there is one of the main voltage regulators that is causing that sound. But the sound alone is not helpful in order to determine the true source - it may be in the PSU or it could be on the motherboard.

Edit :is also the clicking noise after that sound normal?
Try to hear if the sounds come from a hard drive or psu. Most likely the hard drive head parking.

Solution
Jun 10, 2021

Ok Thanks!I've put my ear right on top of the PSU closed my other ear that faced the motherboard and I'm now 100% sure its the PSU making that sound..If it is the voltage regulator on the Psu sounding like that then ,is it alarming?

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
My guess is that there is one of the main voltage regulators that is causing that sound.
aT1xGeD.jpeg

The only thing that could make that sound inside the PSU is the fan, but i have no idea how, if that were a failed bearing or fan blades scratching something, then i guess we would've heard more of similar noise during normal operation, which doesn't seem to be the case. Are you 200% sure it's the PSU ? Disconnect all PSU cables and jump-start it.

Reactions: jonnyguru
Any clues if it is the fan of the psu based on the screeching noise it makes?Any advise is more than welcomed! Edit :is also the clicking noise after that sound normal?

The video needs a little more context.

I noticed there's the sound, then a click (which is the in-rush current relay), then the PC seems to shut off. So you're saying that it only makes this sound when you shut down? And it only makes this sound when you shut down with your side panel on?

Jun 10, 2021
The only thing that could make that sound inside the PSU is the fan, but i have no idea how, if that were a failed bearing or fan blades scratching something, then i guess we would've heard more of similar noise during normal operation, which doesn't seem to be the case. Are you 200% sure it's the PSU ? Disconnect all PSU cables and jump-start it.

The thing is Im a complete noob ,and I haven't ever messed with PSU cables..With that said I disconnected all of my hard drives and ssd's each one of them one at time hoping the sound comes from them but its not,I'm 99% that its the PSU based on placing my ear right on it! Now that I spend some time with my new PC I noticed it did that on normal operation as well(once in 3 hours) and it was not under load at all if that helps..I even did a stress test afterwards to try and trigger it and it didn't happen...I can only trigger it by shuting the pc down.

Jun 10, 2021
The video needs a little more context.

I noticed there's the sound, then a click (which is the in-rush current relay), then the PC seems to shut off. So you're saying that it only makes this sound when you shut down? And it only makes this sound when you shut down with your side panel on?

It actually happened again while Pc is on,it makes the sound with and without the panel on..

Jun 10, 2021
Umm... You sure about that?

First two digits is year (like 19, 20, 21, etc.) and next two are week of year (so 01 to 52).....

Sorry for late response ,different continent...Yes the numbers are correct,it's an EU version so I guess they might have different meaning,or its indeed a 30 year psu ...
CP-9020132-EU

Jun 10, 2021
Hmm.. It could be just the fan then. Like the impeller is rubbing against the grill.

What case do you have this in and what's the orientation of the PSU inside this case?
The case is the NZXT H510 and the psu fan is looking at the floor.I'm also thinking its the fan ,like when its not working fast or looses some speed its doing that...Is there any way I can control the fan speed of it just to make sure?