Is this PSU too much?

jaysouza557025

Prominent
Aug 31, 2018
Hi, I'm building a system and came across a corsair cx750 (2017) on sale for less than the cx550. I'm kind of nervous of the problems I will run into. Is this power supply too much and can it cause issues?

ryzen 5 2400g
Rog Strix b450 f gaming
T Force Delta 2x8 3000mhz ddr4 ram
WD blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD
Kingston 120GB ssd
Wraith Prism cooler
Couple RGB strips
Corsair cx750

Are there any setting I should set to by default for the sake of initial set up? I will be installing Windows 10 64 bit.

Solution
think of power supplies as UP to (in your case) up to 750 Watt load.. you can pull as little or as much (up to the max 750W before it will cause issues) though a lot of power supplies will not really handle the max load.. but you should be plenty fine with a 550W or about.. for best power usage for the power supplies they should (efficiency) something like 50% load when you are using the computer it is more efficient with power usage.

like this one shows.. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm750x-power-supply,4303-5.html

Not your exact one you are asking about.. but it gives the curve.. you can see that with little (like standby usage it wastes power.. and same thing when you max it out.. though it should always fall in...

bignastyid

Titan
No such thing as larger than needed PSU causing problems. However you should get the CX550 as it is a better PSU, built on a newer better platform. 550w is still way more than you need for the listed specs but will allow you to upgrade to a better GPU later on.

jaysouza557025

Prominent
Aug 31, 2018

I plan on adding a Rog Strix RX580 8GB within a few months. I'm also looking at the cxm550. but the price on the 750! I can get it new for $45 right now

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
think of power supplies as UP to (in your case) up to 750 Watt load.. you can pull as little or as much (up to the max 750W before it will cause issues) though a lot of power supplies will not really handle the max load.. but you should be plenty fine with a 550W or about.. for best power usage for the power supplies they should (efficiency) something like 50% load when you are using the computer it is more efficient with power usage.

like this one shows.. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm750x-power-supply,4303-5.html

Not your exact one you are asking about.. but it gives the curve.. you can see that with little (like standby usage it wastes power.. and same thing when you max it out.. though it should always fall in the MIN efficiency the one you buy is certified for..

Solution

bignastyid

Titan
The CX750 is cheaper because it's lower quality and have been unreliable. The only CX and CXm units that are any good are the 450, 550 and 650w models as they are built using a better more modern platform. When it comes to PSUs quality is very important.

550w is plenty for a Ryzen 2400g and a RX580.

TRENDING THREADS