[SOLVED] Is this psu trash?

Solution
I would 100% buy a new psu. The psu is the one thing in the system you don't skimp on. If you don't plan on getting a more power hungry gpu or cpu, then a reputable 400w power supply is more than enough for that system. Otherwise, it doesn't hurt to spend an extra 10 or 15 dollars getting a slightly stronger psu just for the extra headroom. But 400w is plenty for a system like that.

I learned this lesson the hard way when I first started. Used an old salvaged psu on a fx 6300/gtx 560 ti. Killed the psu in about 2 months. I was very lucky that nothing else went with it, or that it didn't start a fire as I left the pc for about an hour and came back to a burning smell and a black screen. Get a better psu, trust me.

lil___perv

Prominent
Jul 2, 2019
Lemme guess, it's a HP office pc from bestbuy or something? Don't put that in any system you plan on building.
i've bought a pc in 2016 witohut an intergrated gpu and this came in it, so im not planning to putting in a build since it already is in my buld, although i wish it wasnt. i wanted to game on it though, last year i got a 1050 ti in it, i was a bit worried though since the psu was only 250 watts, its been working fine but a few months back, there was a very loud and strange noise coming from the pc like a fan was struggling to move, i think it came from the psu, i ledt it for a few days and the noise hasnt returned, although im still a bit worried if something might happen to my pc if this psu dies, money's not a problem, but i just dont want to spend money on something that i dont need, so do i need to buy a new psu? my other components are: i3 4170, 8gb ram, toshuba hdd 7200 500gb, and (as already mentioned) gtx 1050 ti

MisterMeow

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
I would 100% buy a new psu. The psu is the one thing in the system you don't skimp on. If you don't plan on getting a more power hungry gpu or cpu, then a reputable 400w power supply is more than enough for that system. Otherwise, it doesn't hurt to spend an extra 10 or 15 dollars getting a slightly stronger psu just for the extra headroom. But 400w is plenty for a system like that.

I learned this lesson the hard way when I first started. Used an old salvaged psu on a fx 6300/gtx 560 ti. Killed the psu in about 2 months. I was very lucky that nothing else went with it, or that it didn't start a fire as I left the pc for about an hour and came back to a burning smell and a black screen. Get a better psu, trust me.

Solution

lil___perv

Prominent
Jul 2, 2019

i plan to upgrade even further and thats one of the reasons i want to get a new psu, id like to put an i5 4460 or another 1150 socket i5 i just dont know which one yet and most likely an rx 570 that i'd overclock, which psu would you reccomend for about 50-60 dollars on here?

MisterMeow

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
idk the conversion rates for that currency. But if it's in your budget, the corsair 650w is a pretty nice power supply. It's plenty for the system you want to build and then some.

But a 500w power supply from a good brand is enough for just about any LGA1150 cpu and a rx 570.

lil___perv

Prominent
Jul 2, 2019
Sort of, a 1050 requires a 300W at least (the card itself uses about 75W under load). You can still try it out, but if your computer shuts down randomly it's because you don't have enough power for the other components.
Ok I'm going to try it out although I'm afraid it will start a fire cause its only 250 watts😬

But will this psu do for now, I'm afraid to try it out cause I think it will die and components will die with it

As I wrote above, you can try out that PSU. If it doesn't supply enough power it will just either not turn on or turn off randomly during heavy stress. So don't worry about it catching fire or anything, unless of course it's a really cheap PSU you found somewhere. If it's a brand name PSU it'll be safe to test it, if it's not a well known brand you could be risking it. But give it a test run once or twice and see how it runs.

lil___perv

Prominent
Jul 2, 2019
As I wrote above, you can try out that PSU. If it doesn't supply enough power it will just either not turn on or turn off randomly during heavy stress. So don't worry about it catching fire or anything, unless of course it's a really cheap PSU you found somewhere. If it's a brand name PSU it'll be safe to test it, if it's not a well known brand you could be risking it. But give it a test run once or twice and see how it runs.
What exactly could I be risking, is it only a fire or could it be something bigger like killing components if the psu dies?

Daquirtle

Commendable
Aug 6, 2017
That is a bit risky. I would never recommend going too low on a power supply, as if it dies it has the capacity to take your whole system with it. I would recommend something like a Corsair VS350 as minimum for that system, as the 1050 is very power efficient.