[SOLVED] Is this PSU trustable?

ironstem

Reputable
Aug 15, 2020
Is the CoolerMaster Elite 460W psu trustable? First of all, it doesn't have an 80 plus rating. It's also around 10 years old.

The backstory behind this PSU is quite simple. My dad got it for his prebuilt around 2010-2011. The pc was functional until 2019 when the motherboard fried (RIP lmao) A few weeks ago, I put the PSU in his Dell Optiplex prebuilt, which he bought around the same time the motherboard fried. It worked, and the pc ran for probably a week or two on idle until he shut it off. So assuming that my logic is correct, even though it's old PSU, and the fact that it ran his desktop with ease, it would be trustable enough to use it for the temporary PSU in my future pc build. But I could be wrong.

(If you're wondering, what I'm trying to do is get a case and a motherboard, since I already have everything else in my current pc which is a prebuilt. The purpose of this build is to finally have something that's easily upgradeable so I can freely do things with it. The first version of the build will only have a processor, and the graphic card will be added later, along with a better power supply around 500W.)

Solution
Is the CoolerMaster Elite 460W psu trustable? First of all, it doesn't have an 80 plus rating. It's also around 10 years old.

The backstory behind this PSU is quite simple. My dad got it for his prebuilt around 2010-2011. The pc was functional until 2019 when the motherboard fried (RIP lmao) A few weeks ago, I put the PSU in his Dell Optiplex prebuilt, which he bought around the same time the motherboard fried. It worked, and the pc ran for probably a week or two on idle until he shut it off. So assuming that my logic is correct, even though it's old PSU, and the fact that it ran his desktop with ease, it would be trustable enough to use it for the temporary PSU in my future pc build. But I could be wrong.

(If you're wondering...

(If you're wondering, what I'm trying to do is get a case and a motherboard, since I already have everything else in my current pc which is a prebuilt. The purpose of this build is to finally have something that's easily upgradeable so I can freely do things with it. The first version of the build will only have a processor, and the graphic card will be added later, along with a better power supply around 500W.)
Hello there!
Ten years old PSU with no 80% efficieny rating -no don't use it not even for temporary as your parts could get damaged get a CX550 it's a really good inexpensive PSU.

Even a good power supply that old is not especially trustworthy. You need to toss that garbage PSU in the recycle bin before it starts a fire and get a new modern unit. Decent new models will have a 5 year warranty and good ones 7-10 years so plan ahead for the level of power you think you may need.

Solution

ironstem

Reputable
Aug 15, 2020
Even a good power supply that old is not especially trustworthy. You need to toss that garbage PSU in the recycle bin before it starts a fire and get a new modern unit. Decent new models will have a 5 year warranty and good ones 7-10 years so plan ahead for the level of power you think you may need.
Okay, now I'm scared but thank you.